Aran Sweater Design Challenge - CAL

darski

I have been fascinated with the entire field of Aran crochet. I think it really does bring (no pun intended really) a new dimension to our art.

I recently purchased the 63 Cable Stitches booklet and 10 skeins of aran twist yarn from Mary Maxim. i want to design a sweater in the true Aran, fisherman styling. My sweater is probably not going to be for me (not with only 32 ounces) but my desire is for the process of creation and to have others to talk with and at while this is happening.

I am only offering this now - even though I am not ready to start it all yet - so that everyone can get in at the design level.

The idea is that we would all create our own sweater design but we can share the process. it is my belief that we will all enable and encourage each other with new ways to see the process. You know and have done things with Aran that I missed and maybe I have some experience that would assist you.

What I do know that I will be doing is:

1. I will begin with the crochet ribbing technique at the hem.

2. I will be working in the round up to the armhole level.

3-> possibly, I will create a centre "bib" effect with a fabulous motif or effect.

Well that is the beginning.

Do we have some interest in designing? I know it might be hard for newbies but it might also be a learning experience.

I will keep in eye on this and hope to learn something. I haven't made any clothes of any kind yet and will be doing a sweater for a baby but I'm not to design stage but would love to see the thought processes of designing.

Thank you Heather. I have decided that I will post my design questions and ideas in case others are interested in how to do this. Not thta I know wht I am doing but I have done something similar in adapting the ubiquitous Fisheman's crochet sweater.

http://craftyarncouncil.com/projects/jan_crochproj.html

The sweater I made has almost nothing left of the original but it sure did inspire me.

That is such a neat looking sweater. I can't wait till I can make those kinds of things. I'm working my way up to it I'm on hats right now lol. It won't be long.

I'm interested. I've been thinking to do a lighter-type pullover sweater with a tunic edge. But the pictures in my head have trouble making it to paper... :(

I do know that feeling. I want to get to know a bunch of stitches and stuff and then see if they can land on the paper or into my fingers :think

I will be grateful for any ideas and input so welcome aboard

Continuing the research

I saw some Neiman Marcus catalogs today and I am seeing some trends that I want to include.

Tunic length seems to be back in sweater styles..Good, I like this look

surface interest is also showing on many dresses, sweaters and such - good, Aran is all about surface texture

I am getting closer to a design

I might be able to make this in my size ..have to see

Archived