testers needed for the toddler christmas tree hat

snugsmontreal

this is in reference to this thread http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39603

this is the crochet pattern i formulated to as closely replicate this pattern for a toddler sized head. it is crocheted from the bottom edge up

*NOTE*: this pattern does NOT count the turning ch as first DC in any rows. also there is a part in the pattern that may not make sense to some people. if you have any trouble or need a picture of how to do it or a short video of live action let me know and i will take one.

i did it in scrap yarn so i am not able to tell you how much it weighs in yarn but here is an estimation

you will need (these are rough guesses):

2-3 oz light WW or sport weight GREEN yarn

small scraps of other colors (red, yellow, blue)

one G hook

scissors

pompom maker* (optional directions for hand made pompom at bottom)

chain 60 loosely, be sure not to twist, sl st together to form a ring. ch 2

row 1: DC in every ch across sl st in top of ch-2 to join. ch 2 turn (60 DC)

row 2: DC in every st across, sl st int top of ch-2 join. ch 2 turn

row 3: DC in every st across, sl st int top of ch-2 join. ch 2 turn

row 4: DC in every st across, sl st int top of ch-2 join. ch 1 turn

row 5: sl st in every DC across sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 6: FPDC around ch2 and first DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (60 DC)

row 7: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 8 st* repeat * to * across to last 7 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 8: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 9: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (54 DC)

row 10: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 7 st* repeat * to * across to last 6 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 11: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 12: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (48 DC)

row 13: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 6 st* repeat * to * across to last 5 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 14: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 15: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (42 DC)

row 16: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 5 st* repeat * to * across to last 4 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 17: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 18: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (36 DC)

row 19: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 4 st* repeat * to * across to last 3 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 20: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 21: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (30 DC)

row 22: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 3 st* repeat * to * across to last 2 st. DC in last sts and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 23: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 24: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (24 DC)

row 25: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 2 st* repeat * to * across to last st. DC in last st, sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 26: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 do not turn

row 27: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (18 DC)

row 28: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next st* repeat * to * across. sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 29: *DecDC in next 2 sts* repeat * to * across. ch 1 turn

row 30: pull a loop through each remaining st and slip through all loops on hook. fasten off

finishing. go back with the small amounts of red and blue and embroidery small "ornaments" randomly on your new tree. make and attach yellow pompom as "star" on top of tree.

hand made pompom: cut a 4 inch length of yarn before starting. holding 4 fingertips flat wrap yellow yarn around one fingertip to secure. continue wrapping around your hand approx. 30 complete rounds. cut yarn but dont lose your end. take length of yarn wrap around middle of rounds (between your middle and ring finger) tuck between fingers to other wise and tie tightly. slip fingers out and wrap legnth back around and tie again from other side. cut all loops and sufficiently fluff new pompom. use 2 longer ties from the length used to tie it up to attach to the top of hat.

this is in reference to this thread http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39603

this is the crochet pattern i formulated to as closely replicate this pattern for a toddler sized head. it is crocheted from the bottom edge up

*NOTE*: this pattern does NOT count the turning ch as first DC in any rows. also there is a part in the pattern that may not make sense to some people. if you have any trouble or need a picture of how to do it or a short video of live action let me know and i will take one.

i did it in scrap yarn so i am not able to tell you how much it weighs in yarn but here is an estimation

you will need (these are rough guesses):

2-3 oz light WW or sport weight GREEN yarn

small scraps of other colors (red, yellow, blue)

one G hook

scissors

pompom maker* (optional directions for hand made pompom at bottom)

chain 60 loosely, be sure not to twist, sl st together to form a ring. ch 2

row 1: DC in every ch across sl st in top of ch-2 to join. ch1 turn (60 DC)

row 2: sl st in every DC across sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 3: FPDC around ch2 and first DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (60 DC)

row 4: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 8 st* repeat * to * across to last 7 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 5: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 6: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (54 DC)

row 7: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 7 st* repeat * to * across to last 6 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 8: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 9: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (48 DC)

row 10: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 6 st* repeat * to * across to last 5 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 11: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 12: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (42 DC)

row 13: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 5 st* repeat * to * across to last 4 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 14: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 15: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (36 DC)

row 16: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 4 st* repeat * to * across to last 3 st. DC in each of last st and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 17: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 18: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (30 DC)

row 19: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 3 st* repeat * to * across to last 2 st. DC in last sts and sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 20: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 21: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (24 DC)

row 22: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next 2 st* repeat * to * across to last st. DC in last st, sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 23: sl st in every DC across, sl st into ch1 to join. ch1 turn

row 24: FPDC around ch2 and first tog DC and every st across from previous DC row, sl st into ch1 to join. ch 2 turn (18 DC)

row 25: DC into first st *DecDC into next 2 sts, DC in next st* repeat * to * across. sl st in ch 2. ch 1 turn

row 26: *DecDC in next 2 sts* repeat * to * across. ch 1 turn

row 27: pull a loop through each remaining st and slip through all loops on hook. fasten off

finishing. go back with the small amounts of red and blue and sc small "ornaments" randomly on your new tree. make and attach yellow pompom as "star" on top of tree.

hand made pompom: cut a 4 inch length of yarn before starting. holding 4 fingertips flat wrap yellow yarn around one fingertip to secure. continue wrapping around your hand approx. 30 complete rounds. cut yarn but dont lose your end. take length of yarn wrap around middle of rounds (between your middle and ring finger) tuck between fingers to other wise and tie tightly. slip fingers out and wrap legnth back around and tie again from other side. cut all loops and sufficiently fluff new pompom. use 2 longer ties from the length used to tie it up to attach to the top of hat.

Thanks so very much for doing this for me..definitely going to make.

I finished! See the pictures here.

Everything pretty much worked for me, except for turning every row--that would have made the ridges alternate inside-outside, as far as I could tell; maybe I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't figure it out. I did make a few changes for convenience: worsted weight yarn, 'cause I had it in my stash, and an H hook to match; I embroidered the ornaments instead of SC (they're a little skimpy because I got tired of them--maybe I'm crazy, but I didn't know quite what you meant by SCing them)--and I used my favorite double-base chain for the bottom, followed by an SC row, to try to approximate chain + DC.

I'm not sure my version would fit a toddler, though. It looks pretty small.

Thanks so much for the pattern, snugsmontreal! It was fun and I really love it.

I finished! See the pictures here.

Everything pretty much worked for me, except for turning every row--that would have made the ridges alternate inside-outside, as far as I could tell; maybe I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't figure it out. I did make a few changes for convenience: worsted weight yarn, 'cause I had it in my stash, and an H hook to match; I embroidered the ornaments instead of SC (they're a little skimpy because I got tired of them--maybe I'm crazy, but I didn't know quite what you meant by SCing them)--and I used my favorite double-base chain for the bottom, followed by an SC row, to try to approximate chain + DC.

I'm not sure my version would fit a toddler, though. It looks pretty small.

Thanks so much for the pattern, snugsmontreal! It was fun and I really love it.

Great job Wendy! :clap I started mine this morning, but frogged it...now that I see corrections will try again in the morning. Also couldn't concentrate this morning...I need quiet!!! I'm thinking of using french knots for the ornaments.

Yes, I think French knots would work really well... I was just in a hurry to get it done by that point and took random stitches all over. I've decided, since I didn't really have a child in mind to give it to--and it looks so nice sitting on the table--to give it to my aunt, who's in the hospital right now for cancer treatment... should brighten up the hospital room a lot.

You could make small pom pom's to decorate the tree. I'm thinking of adding a garland also.

ORNAMENTS

NOTE:Use glue VERY sparingly. Only a TINY dot is all that is needed.

Cut a piece of yarn about 20 inches, split into 2-2 strand pieces. With size C hook, form a ring around your finger and work 2 scs in loop, join, pull tight, tuck ends into center of ball and cut close. Glue where desired.

GARLAND:

With size H hook, chain about 200. Glue where desired.

Well, here's my story..unfortunately I just couldn't work out this pattern, just me I guess. But after struggling with my brain I did a pattern on my own. I have the hat itself done, just adding extras now. I will post my hat in "Original Patterns" as soon as finished. Thanks Snugsmontreal for working up this pattern, just sorry I had troubles.

I didnt turn either, adn I recommend adding a few rows to the begining so it can actually go around a head, I mean by that a few rows of the 60 st's before decreasing, my dd is sleeping so I have the next best thing for a model, oh and it kind of fits her but I ran out of yarn thats ok though

121406009.jpg

121406008.jpg

thank you to all who have tried it and i have made a few more changes to the pattern, added those extra rows of DC to help it fit better. the only model i had was a 1 yr old, so i suppose his head is a bit smaller than a toddler. hopefully all will work out well now, thank you all again i love the pictures!

Archived