CGOA Irish Adventure

diamond

Anyone else from Crochetville planning on going with the CGOA to Ireland April 18 thru May 2nd, 2007?? I am and was hoping others from the 'Ville might be going to? Cost is $3000 with $750 deposit.

• 3 weeks later...

I just joined and saw this message. I hadn't heard of the CGOA tour, but got the info off their site and looked it over. It's too bad the tour isn't concentrating on wool areas of the country. We live in West Cork, and around this region of the country, there are wool workers around doing their own spinning and dyeing. One group down the road from where we live does private spinning classes for beginners and advanced spinners.

I have to say though, some of the places on the tour are really nice. Anyone going will enjoy St Colman's Cathedral. I hope the tour guide remembers to keep you there long enough to hear the traditional ringing of the bells when passenger ferries go by. That tradition goes back to immigration times.

And I hope that passengers get the chance to see Lismore Castle and not just the heritage center. This is one of the most amazing castles that's still occupied by royalty. While the castle isn't open, the dual gardens are, and they're superb!

The Avoca Handweavers is a very posh stop. Major retail outlet for upmarket goods. No yarn, no spinning or weaving, but if the tour is stopping at their original shop in Wicklow, you'll be treated to a wonderful deli for take-away food items.

If anyone is going on the tour and planning on staying over longer, let me know. Maybe I can point you in the right direction for some good yarn shops and sheep/wool/hand made items direction.

Kemberlee

Archived