Changing LionBrand Granny poncho to different sizes..?

Guest 000blueberry000

Question

Guest 000blueberry000

I like the lionbrand homespun granny poncho. I would like to use ww yarn and make it for my 4 yr old dd and her friends. Can anyone suggest how to covert this?

Thanks!!

Lori

7 answers to this question

I made 2 of those poncho's for 9/10 yr old girls. What I did was use a thinner yarn (TLC Amore for one and Bernant Baby Coordinates for the other) and an I hook. Using the smaller yarn/hook I was able to follow the directions as written (ie, the same number of stitches) and it resized it perfectly.

I can't promise, but maybe using those types of yarn and an even smaller hook (g perhaps0 might bring it down enough for your daughter.

If not, you'd have to do the math to reduce the starting chain by the correct number of stitches to keep the pattern in tact.

Holly

I'm so glad you asked about this - I've been eyeing the same pattern (if it's the link posted) wanting to make it for a 4 and 6 year old. I don't know how to change the pattern to accommodate that, though.

Guest 000blueberry000

Thanks!

It is that poncho. I am intimidated by the math. I'm not sure if it would be a ratio in proportion to the size or if the turning chains, etc. effect it-kwim?? I hate math-lol!!!! I'll try adjusting the yarn and hook. Maybe someone can come with a formula!

Lori

Lori, I'm using a sport weight yarn and a G hook and I *think* it is going to work up okay to fit a four or five year old - it looks, so far, like it will fit my dd okay (she's 6, and a very petite six) but not with any extra growing room, which makes me think it would be okay for a size down.

Oh, I'm going to try a ww poncho next decreasing the initial chain, I just wanted to try it with the original pattern so I could so how it worked up, first. Hopefully should manage that by the end of the week, I think.

Archived