dc Turning chain - ch2 or ch3?

ErinG

Question

I think most patterns I've come across use a Ch3 turning chain for a dc row, but the afghan I just started (Drunkard's Path from a Lion Brand booklet) uses Ch2. Shelly (InsureChick) has posted about this pattern before (see thread), and I'm having the same issue she did - the squares come out rather diamond/squashed shaped with the ch2 turning chain edges feeling rather short/tight. I'm trying one block with a ch3 turn instead, and it's looking more more square. Anyone have any idea why LionBrand might have chosen ch2 instead? I emailed their support and they assured me the pattern was correct. Is it possible the Ch2 makes for a tighter seam in the long run? :think

11 answers to this question

I've come across a couple of patterns that use ch2 as the dc turning chain, but I always use ch3.

Does the pattern count the ch2 AS the dc? I've also seen ch2 done, then you start by dc-ing in the same stitch.

You'll have to let us know how it works subbing the ch3 for the ch2!

Sally

The pattern counts the ch2 turn as a dc, and then adds a dc into the last stitch of the previous row - it's like counting the ch2 as one of two dc made in the same dc.

For example:

Row 5: Ch 2, dc in first stitch, (3 dc, 2 dc in next st) twice, 3dc - 15dc

Hi ErinG

It might be just that the designer chained more loosely than you do :)

If you find the ch-3 turn makes a better shape, then I'd use that. I don't think you'd want a really tight seam between the blocks for a blanket and if it's making the sides so tight that it's distorting the square, something is definitely not right.

Smiles,

I've only been doing granny squares for a few days but I'm finding that I'm the opposite of you. If I ch3 like they say then it just doesn't look right. I'm making the same square as I did yesterday but using ch2 this time, so we'll see.

I've also found that I need to reduce the number of stitches called for in the foundation ring or my ring will be too big. I chain a bit on the loose side so that's probably why I need to reduce and not increase.

Ok, I'm fairly certain now that I'm going to use the ch3, despite what the pattern calls for. Thanks for the support, everyone - it's good to know that I'm not crazy for thinking I should change it :)

Ok, so I continued on with the ch3 since at the start of the square it was looking great, but it turned out to be a failed experiment. If I use ch3 for the whole thing, it ends up looking stretched/fanned out funny in the opposite direction compared to the squashed ch2-squares. So then I decided to try using the ch3 for the first half (the quarter circle) and ch2 for the rest. This produced a square square, like what I wanted, but when I was done I noticed that the ch3's make the quarter circle rather sloppy looking compared to the ch2. It's a flatter arc than what is intended. SO, basically, I figured out that the original pattern needs the ch2 for the quarter circle to look right.

So the question then was what to do...have a square square, or a sloppy circle. What I think I'm going to do is just make the pattern as written, making sure I keep my ch2s a little on the looser side than my usual, and then if I have to block the squares before I stitch them together.

Who knew that one little chain could make such a difference??

Archived