Wizard hat pattern?

Reba

Question

My brother says that I'll be his favorite sibling if I make him a black wizard hat like the one found here, on Livejournal (at the bottom). The person who made the hat (and some other really awesome ones, as well) made them freehand, so no pattern. And I'm pretty bad at freehanding, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a pattern? Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Maybe you could do a variation on this hat.

When you're ready to do the brim just increase in every stitch around for first round, increase in every other stitch around for second round, increase in every third stitch around for third round, and so forth until the brim is the size you want.

Hope this helps ya! :ducky

Thanks, that's a good idea! I do have a problem reading the pattern though--what's the Inc mean?

This is what the pattern says the Inc is

Inc=2 dc in next st Bpdc & Fpdc

and this is the pattern for row 2. . .

Rnd 2:Ch 3,Inc.(Dc in next st,Inc)around.Join(9 dc).

So do I just chain 3, do a Bpdc and a Fpdc in the next stitch (that'd be the Inc part?), then keep alternating between Dc and Inc until I get all the way around? Am I reading that right? :fc I'm so confused!

Thanks!

That looks like a good candidate for felting; would get it nice and sturdy. Any excuse to felt, yay!

Reba, Inc means to increase, or in other words, you work two double crochets in one stitch.

At the beginning of the pattern is says

Inc = 2 dc in next stitch (and then it gives a link to how to do a fpdc(front post double crochet) and bpdc(back post dc) So it's just telling you how to do an increase, not to do a fp or bpdc. Does that make sense?

As far as doing the fp and bpdc, you probably dont need to do those stitches. They use the post dc's at the rim of the hat to create a ribbing. To create the hat try working the pattern till round 26. From there start the brim and skip the rest of the pattern.

In round 2 when its says Rnd 2:Ch 3,Inc.(Dc in next st,Inc)around.Join(9 dc) That means you Ch3, Increase in next stitch(in other words, work two dc's in next stitch), work a double crochet in the stitch after that. So to break it all down, basically you are increasing in every other stitch. In the stitches you dont work the Inc. you just work one dc.

I hope it makes sense, I'm not very fluid with words.

Good luck:star

Archived