Where do you crochet into?

KnicKnac

Ok, what do I mean?

When working with thread, which is a whole different animal to me, I seem to have a hard time deciding where I should attach my stitch when I am on my next row, like when I am doing a doily.

Let's say you have 3 tr from a previous row, you are asked to do a tr into each tr below. Let's see if I can explain this - there is a stem part of the stitch, the HEIGHT part, then you have a left and a right side of that stem that you can put that stitch into. I find that when I put my stitch into the right side of the stem, my stitches tend to look off kilter. But technically, that is the stitch, because if I stop at just one tr there is only the right side and the stem.

If I do the left side of the stitch, the stitches seem to look more uniform, SOMETIMES. So I don't know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Does that even make sense?

Am I being clear?

I'm not sure, but what might be confusing you is that the V-stitch you make your stitch into is just to the right of the post when you're working in rounds. If you are turning at the end of the row, that makes that V to the left of the post. Since yarns seems to be more often worked in rows and thread, particularly doilies, is usually worked in rounds, that could be why you're seeing a difference now that you've not run across before.

There's a natural torque when you're working in rounds, also. So everything leans the direction you're crocheting until you block the item.

Does this help at all?

Susan

I'm a lefty and so I was curious about this from the opposite end. At first I wasn't certain whether to insert the hook just at the top of the stitch (where it looks like a chain) or around the entire separation between stitches. Of course, I knew where to insert the hook since I'd been crocheting since a child, but I had one of those "moments" when I panicked and didn't quite know whether that WAS the right way...:eek

Now, if I get a bit out of sorts, I just look for the top chain and that's where I put the hook.

I admit, it does SEEM like one puts the hook to the left or right of the original post, but as Susan mentioned below, usually when you wash and block it comes out looking fine.

Elle

Ok, what do I mean?

When working with thread, which is a whole different animal to me, I seem to have a hard time deciding where I should attach my stitch when I am on my next row, like when I am doing a doily.

Let's say you have 3 tr from a previous row, you are asked to do a tr into each tr below. Let's see if I can explain this - there is a stem part of the stitch, the HEIGHT part, then you have a left and a right side of that stem that you can put that stitch into. I find that when I put my stitch into the right side of the stem, my stitches tend to look off kilter. But technically, that is the stitch, because if I stop at just one tr there is only the right side and the stem.

If I do the left side of the stitch, the stitches seem to look more uniform, SOMETIMES. So I don't know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Does that even make sense?

Am I being clear?

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm going to write in it. When I first starting making a potholder with yarn that went in rounds, I thought the stitch to do next was the one to the left of the stem, as it seems more like that's where I thought the st finished. That went ok until I had to do a post stitch and I discovered I was wrong. Then I discovered it was the one to the right. If it looks too far off, then you are letting the top stitch get too loose in the dble or trpl stitch and so it is too big and floating away. I have to keep a sharp eye to keep my yo's close together and not let them spread up the needle or it will be a long gangly stitch with a floating top stitch. I have always put my stitch in the top of the chain, but if that was all I did, I would in fact, just be crocheting in the back loop. But, I always go a little deeper and catch a thread from the top of the stem, otherwise the back loop would stretch out. Much to my horror, my friend tells me she goes under both the front and back loops and not down thru. I think the problem comes up because the instructions don't say to do a front loop or a back loop or under both loops, but rather say INTO. So, that seems to tell me to go down into the top chain stitch. I think it's probable that I've been doing it wrong, but they look fine and I like doing it that way! Just don't know what is the right way to think about that!

The other thing to remember is that when going in the round, the stitches are going to look and work differently, than when you go back and forth. In the round, for a rightie, you will go to the right of the stitch below, doing what cozyhomelife suggests, keeping your yarn overs and stitches tight. For a leftie, you would go to the left of the stitch.

When going back and forth (like for an afghan), you will go into the left of the stitch, for righties and to the right, for lefties.

You also should always be going through both loops at the top of the stitch, unless the pattern states differently.

Archived