Crocheting with rocks/sea glass without drilling

sakurasaku

I'm not sure if this is in the correct category, so if not, please move it.

I have seen semi-precious stones supported by wire to make a necklace. The wire just goes in a spiral around the stone, so that there is no hole in it. Is there a way to do something like this in crochet? Maybe something like what one would encase a Christmas ornament ball in (see this link for what I'm talking about), but a lot smaller?

I have a bunch of sea glass I would like to make a necklace out of. Any help will be appreciated...

Something like that would work.

You could also make a bezel by crocheting a chain shorter than the diameter of the piece, join in a round, sc in each ch, increase for a row (dc's may add more flexibility/workability), pop your stone in (so the bezel goes around the outer edge), then decrease back and fasten off.

I've found that Viking knit and naalbinding are pretty workable too.

I've found that Viking knit and naalbinding are pretty workable too.

I'm not familiar with these, but I guess I'll go look around.

Thanks for everyone for the responses... I think I can now come up with something that will work.

• 3 weeks later...

have you been able to make anything yet? I'd love to see it:) I was actually wondering the same thing except I'm wanting to do it with wire crochet. My mom gave me a few little stones that she baught at a cave in Wales. They are special stones like Rose Quarts. So I'm wanting to make a bracelet or a necklace with them but I don't know how:think do you think it will work if I use memory wires on the ends and some glue where you can't see it?

Archived