Vegas Yarn Shops - are there any?

luckybmr

Going to my favorite place VIVA LAS VEGAS in November for my Roman Numeral "L" birthday. :eek Does anyone know of any good yarn shops in the general Vegas area? I have been going to Vegas for years, but never have had much time to go exploring in the neighborhoods. To busy playing slots and cards. This year, will be there for SIX whole days.

My uncle will be the only guy in our group of four (mom, me and aunt), so I am sure he will be looking for something to do and would more than willingly accomodate his favorite niece and go with her to some yarn shops. :yes

Figured I would start off with the slots and win myself a yarn shopping spree. :devil .

I have been to Vegas once myself but never looked into any yarn. i check the online yellow pages and found a few the only non chain store one i found was Gail Knits it is located at 9012 W. Sahara. There also is several hancock fabrics, Joann Fabrics, and Michaels. Also if you happen to be in the MGM Grand late one night and meet a cashier named Melanie tell her Kristy says hello.

Thank you both for the information. I have printed off the addresses. Also checked out Gail Knits web site. Looks like it would be a nice store. Hope I can visit one or both of them.

I've went to both Wooly Wonders and Gail Knits when I was in Vegas this May for a conference. (Had an extra day. Hmmm. Wonder how that happened?)

Anyway, I liked both of them. Gail Knits had some of the higher end, more chichi yarns. Lots of very soft, fuzzy, touchable, pettable, yarns. I picked up a ball of Karabella Laceweight Mohair for a decent price. It wasn't too bad.

They also have a nice selection of needles and other stuff you really don't need but want anyway (i.e., rosewood crochet hooks).

Wooly Wonders was a nice little shop in a strip mall. There is a 7-Eleven in the end of the building, so it's actually easy to miss. It's towards the middle of the building in the wing that is perpendicular to Tropicana. It is a really nice little shop that has a wide variety of yarns. Most of it is of the more practical variety. Good quality wools. And lots of sock yarn which we all know is really really important. :yes

As a bonus, she also has a ton of thread that I haven't seen before. I'm talking verigated size 50. You don't find that around Dallas anyway, so I stocked up. It's mainly for tatting, which she actually has the supplies for.

Out of the two, Wooly Wonders seemed to be the most homey. It felt like you were walking into her living room, and just talking about yarn and thread, though it was obviously a store.

Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Two Crazy Ladys is on the corner of West Sahara and Rainbow. It's been open less than a year, but very friendly and offers both crochet and knitting. Maryanne

Check out the MapMuse LYS Locator. I like this resource so well, I put it in the sidebar of my blog!

When you enter in Las Vegas, NV, it shows a couple shops are there. Just follow that link, then click on the little "K" symbols in the yellow boxes for information about those LYSs.

Maryanne and Amy - thanks for more information. I like that MapMuse. I will probably have to pick one shop to go to - won't have time for more unless I can plead for mercy and get everyone away from the machines for a break. LOL!

Hi! I live in Vegas and can tell you what I've found here. Gails Knits and Two Crazy Ladies are yarn shops on the west side and Wooly Wonders is on the east side. Gails Knits is at Sahara and Fort Apache, Two Crazy Ladies is at Sahara and Rainbow. Wooly Wonders is at E. Tropicana and Pecos. There are also Michaels and JoAnns around. You should have a good time and Happy Birthday!!!

Gaby and Maryanne - if you go to these stores, which do you like best? I can't wait for my vacation - already counting the days!

I've been going to Gail Knits for a couple of years, meet my friends there on saturdays and spend the day knitting together. Two Crazy ladies is new to me, but very friendly. At Gail's, you sign in on a board if you need help and wither Gail or her assistant will help you with any problems you're having. At Crazy Ladies, they're less formal, you just ask for help as you need it. Gail's yarns are more upscale than Crazy Ladies.

Hop this helps a little.

Maryanne

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Gail Knits, and a woman who used to work there moved to my community. She told me that they really look down on crocheting there, so I knew that before I ever visited the store (this was in late 2004, so maybe it's different now). It's a nice shop, just geared towards knitters and not crocheters.

I drove by Two Crazy Ladies last time I visited, but I was hightailing it to a fabric shop and didn't have time to stop there :( I'll have to get in there, especially if they like crocheters!

The Jo-Ann's in Henderson is the nicest I've ever visited. I love shopping in Vegas and, on my last Visa statement, half my charges were from my last LV trip :eek

November is a GREAT time to visit Las Vegas. I went to the Quilt Shop Hop last year and it was too warm to wear my quilted jacket...the weather was gorgeous!

Have a great time and a fabulous birthday! :D

November is a GREAT time to visit Las Vegas. I went to the Quilt Shop Hop last year and it was too warm to wear my quilted jacket...the weather was gorgeous!

Actually you got lucky. November is usually fairly cold there. In fact when my husband came to visit me before we were married, he was suprised how much colder it was there than Atlanta.

Archived