Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along from knit.1 mag

:jumpyay :jumpyay :jumpyay :jumpyay :jumpyayYes, Paulette, well done, you've done it !!!!

Isn't it amazing to complete it? Your shawl is wonderful!

(I can't believe you want to do another !!!! You are amazing!!):nworthy

Your photos of Cambria are breathtaking.:cat Thank you for sharing them!

The yarn is beautiful. Any ideas for it yet?

Zuzu

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golly you know how to make a gal feel good! Thanks!

As far as making another one, it really ~honestly~ is not as difficult as it looks! I know I've looked at many thread crochet tablecloths and thought "you've got to be kidding" but this really truly is a well-written pattern, you can do it is a 'carry along' on the large butterflies because they're done one at a time (all 21 of them) and then it actually starts putting itself together!:think Okay - it doesn't actually pick up the hook and crochet itself, but..s. :devil It goes together rather easily, and as you see the results it's very exciting. I don't know if any of you do cross-stitch but if you do, you know when you've sewn in about 8,000 little X's and you're ready to jump off a cliff and then you start doing the backstitching and, voila, suddenly all the detail comes out... that's how this shawl is!

Glad you enjoyed the Cambria pictures - this shawl will always make me think of Cambria and our lovely vacation... and as for the lovely yarn I acquired... the ones that are ocean colors will be a granny afghan, but not traditional squares... I just got a book The New Granny Square by Susan Cottrell & Cindy Weloth http://cgi.ebay.com/BOOK-NEW-The-New-Granny-Square-Cottrell-Susan-M-Welo_W0QQitemZ250055913541QQihZ015QQcategoryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

and the cover afghan is 'killer' (talking like my teens now) but it combines several different colors in different ways and I LIKE it.

As far as they other giganto hunks-o-yarn I have named them Morticia and Gomez - they reall are BIG. I started attempting to wind them yesterday and got exactly one hank done. Took ten hours - look here if you want to hear more.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39041

The blue/black yarn (Gomez) will be some sort of shawl IF I am able to get it into balls - hopefully this first one was just yarn with an attitude and ther rest will go better. I was thinking of maybe a Seraphina (haven't done one of those yet) or something that likes to be striped... I dunno. It'll have to tell me what it wants to be!

Morticia (the pink and sandy colors) is going to be an afghan - it's a HUGE amount of yarn (should be - cost about $200) and again it will be something special - it'll come to me...:hook

Wow! I can relate to the yarn 'calling' to you to suggest its own project, and also to the zillion ideas circulating.

I have a pattern for an exquisite , delicate butterfly, and I have been wanting to combine it with flowers for a shawl.. Then I did this current shawl because I think it is beautiful, and I didn't feel up to designing......but now I am thinking about it again.

:dreaming

I was able to walk on the jetty the other day to say hello to all the doggies, and to the sea birds sailing by. A seagull was sitting on the railing, and just lifted up effortlessly to catch a breeze, and floated on the air, delighting us. Pelicans soared by at eye level from where we sat on the little pier.:dog :ducky

Zuzu :cat

:catyour yarn names made me laugh! thanks!:elle

:cat As far as they other giganto hunks-o-yarn I have named them Morticia and Gomez - they reall are BIG. I started attempting to wind them yesterday and got exactly one hank done. Took ten hours - look here if you want to hear more.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39041

:sher <<<<<that is Paulette searching for the elusive yarn ends!!!

I read of your saga of the evil yarn and really laughed!!!!!!!!:elle

Well, if you must know, I spent about 8 hours de-tangling the thread from this butterfly shawl because I had put all four balls in a big bag.! Ok, so I had a screw missing at the moment:coo ,,,,,,,,,I also gave up at some point and cut the threads. I hit upon the solution of putting each ball in a heavy plastic bag from a store, and putting all four bags into a large plastic shopping bag. My neighbor then said, 'well , of course it would have tangled the way you had it'.........I said , 'where were you when my brain was not functioning?'........

Kudos to your perseverance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heehee (I would have insisted on de-tangling also, until I keeled over!_):out :out :sofunny

:artist Has anyone considered using this butterfly and the mesh to make a blouse? One could put 2 butterflies on a slant on either side of the front , (like a low, open V neck )and start connecting everything with mesh. I did this some time ago with another butterfly, using fabric.........hmm.........there are so many ways.........?????????

Paulette,

I also got the New Granny Square book. Perhaps after the holidays you might consider doing a CAL from this book? :idea:scrachin I like the cover one as well as the one with the interlocking rings that has something of a celtic feel to it. Anyways, its just a thought! Why crochet alone when there are so many who could join and encourage you to get another FO!:tup:santa:rud:hbulb:2snowman :fruitcake :ctree

:artist Has anyone considered using this butterfly and the mesh to make a blouse? One could put 2 butterflies on a slant on either side of the front ' date=' (like a low, open V neck )and start connecting everything with mesh. I did this some time ago with another butterfly, using fabric.........hmm.........there are so many ways.........?????????[/quote']

Nope, never thouht of making it into a blouse, but that's a great idea! I am now committed (NO, I didn't say I'd BEEN committed:angry ) I AM committed to make Ah Leah a bed cover thingy using pink butterflies and brown mesh... already got the thread - that nice Halcyon stuff. I was just thinking about it while driving home, how large I should make it... maybe eight by twelve butterflies???:think

Paulette,

I also got the New Granny Square book. Perhaps after the holidays you might consider doing a CAL from this book? :idea:scrachin I like the cover one as well as the one with the interlocking rings that has something of a celtic feel to it. Anyways, its just a thought! Why crochet alone when there are so many who could join and encourage you to get another FO!:tup:santa:rud:hbulb:2snowman:ctree

That is a GREAT idea! I fell in love with that pattern and really would like to make it using the yarn I bought in Cambria (not the possessed stuff that keeps tangling - but the pink and sandy stuff) I think waiting until after the holidays is a good idea... Let's plan for it. It is fun to "crochet along" and cheer each other on, help each other out...

Now all you butterfly-ers out there, don't think that you'll be giving up on the Butterfly Crochet Along... I still have another shawl to make and the bed cover mentioned above... we'll just be doing MORE projects:D

Nope, never thouht of making it into a blouse, but that's a great idea! I am now committed (NO, I didn't say I'd BEEN committed:angry ) I AM committed to make Ah Leah a bed cover thingy using pink butterflies and brown mesh... already got the thread - that nice Halcyon stuff. I was just thinking about it while driving home, how large I should make it... maybe eight by twelve butterflies?

:lol funny!

The butterfly cover for a bed sounds wonderful! (do you have any animals who would just love to lie on this?) :cat :dog :ladybug :cat

Your photo of the waves and the seagull in Cambria made me long for yarn with all those shades of blues , gold, and green, violet too. Maybe you could use that photo for inspiration for the yarn you bought. A lovely sea-afghan it would be! :magic

:party I'm going to a holiday party tonight and I will wear the butterfly shawl (violet thread) over white. It will feel festive.

I am inspired to continue thinking about the shawl using another butterfly and flowers, so I will be crocheting butterflies , too!:yes

• 2 weeks later...

Paulette,

Just wandered over to this thread and saw your pictures of your finished shawl: what a beauty (:cheer:clap)! You have really created a work of art (:cheer :cheer)! And it's practical too (:yes )!

Seeing your shawl makes me want to make one (:yes). (I don't know - finding C'Ville may have longterm detrimental effects (:lol))

Do you think anyone has back copies of the magazine that has the pattern? The mag's Web site didn't seem to have one. And another site that Sakurasaku suggested doesn't list the mag for sale anymore. (Sakurasaku, would you still be able to buy a copy for me?)

Paulette,

Just wandered over to this thread and saw your pictures of your finished shawl: what a beauty (:cheer:clap)! You have really created a work of art (:cheer :cheer)! And it's practical too (:yes )!

Seeing your shawl makes me want to make one (:yes). (I don't know - finding C'Ville may have longterm detrimental effects (:lol))

Do you think anyone has back copies of the magazine that has the pattern? The mag's Web site didn't seem to have one. And another site that Sakurasaku suggested doesn't list the mag for sale anymore. (Sakurasaku, would you still be able to buy a copy for me?)

I looked in eBay and didn't find a copy which is unusual, and I went to the FAQ section of knit.1 magazine and found the following:

"Q: How do I order a back issue?

Call our customer service number: (877) 860-6164. It's toll-free! You'll be able to find out which issues are available and how to order."

The issue you want is The Art Issue, Summer 2006...

I'll keep searching eBay and Amazon and put a link if I find a copy...

Good luck...

UPDATE: Try this link - just stumbled on it today (December 6, 2006) and the price is newstand price - of course probably some S/H in there, but they have quite a few copies...

http://www.onefineyarn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VKK1200602

Hello Everyone!:yay

I'm the designer of the butterfly shawl from Knit.1 summer 2006.....

I have been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to keep up with the forum,

so. apologies and big hugs all round!

I will try to stay in touch with the Butterfly shawl CAL - seeing as I am still spinning the silk for my daughter's wedding this summer.

Our son floored us by announcing that he and his fiance are going to be moving their wedding up to May 07 from Aug 08..... YIKES! that means that both our kids are getting married this summer, plus I'll be off teaching workshops at Chain LInk in July......... oh my! I am spinning, weaving, crocheting, knitting and sewing up a storm for both weddings. AND, of course, still working full time on all kinds of new designs for magazines and books. (Lots and lots of new stuff coming out in '07! and 08)

Happy to be back!

One of the things that I have been doing a lot of lately on my http://www.hankeringforyarn.com blog is to make and design for great big HUGE crochet hooks! LOL! Too much fun!

I just uploaded pics to: http://www.crone-findlay.com/Crone-FindlayCreationsWhatsNew.html

Merry Christmas everyone!

:hug:coo Noreen

Well, Noreen, you definitely get the award for busiest designer who is also preparing for not one but two weddings!!! Yikes:eek

I was just looking at your humongo hook with much curiosity as I became the proud owner of a hook with about a one inch diameter:lol ! Our resident hook whittler, Jimbo http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_jimbosfrontporch_archive.html did a "hook whittling tutorial" (don't know if anybody actually was able to MAKE a hook despite his very good instructions) but I did end up with the 'sample' hook which he made in Jumbo size to show the details! I figured I'd hold 12 or so strands of yarn together and make world's warmest (and quickest) afghan:D but haven't attempted yet! You certainly do inspire me, Noreen!

I finished my first butterfly shawl in Cambria, California, and will be working on my second one after the first of the year... and also my daughter's 'bed cover' that she requested...

Well, best to you and yours, hope you have a wonderful holiday and it's great to hear from you again!

Hugs:hug

SPECIAL NOTE TO ANY HOOKERS NEW TO THIS THREAD: If you are joining us (please do) I put a link to a necessary correction for the small butterfly and also a link to obtain the magazine in the very first post in this thread! I did this on December 22, 2006, so hopefully this info will remain good for awhile! Happy Hooking!

Thank you, Noreen, for designing such a beautiful shawl! I made the butterflies with 2 strands of a more lavender thread & 2 strands of more violet thread. The mesh is violet. I didn't put fringe, but I put a border all around.

People have admired it, and I say, "I only made it; it was designed by a very clever designer!":nworthy :artist

As I was making it , I kept being amazed by your skill and patience!

I love butterflies, and was looking for just such a shawl, as I haven't been able to face designing one! Now I may try-----you inspired me!

Do you remember the constant reference in 'Jewel in the Crown' of "butterflies caught in a web"? Of course, that can be negative, so I choose not to see it that way! Think about the possible meanings to the constant use of the butterflies in a frame in so many scenes in 'It's a Wonderful Life'........ I have always wanted to talk to Frank Capra about that!

I do hope you will continue to share with us what you are working on, and how you go about it.:manyheart

Thanks again for giving us this design, :dragonfly and good wishes preparing for the weddings! Keep us posted!

Zuzu :cat :ladybug :dog :cat

Hello and Happy Almost New Year's Paulette!

and a big big hug to you!:hug

Christmas was incredibly busy......... we were amazed by it all.

We also had to deal with the grief over the death of Jim's sister on Oct 1- it was also her birthday at Christmas, so that was intense.

So, we have big happy stuff happening around the weddings of our kids, but dealing with sadness too...

I am busting my chops, working on 5 new projects for Summer 2007 Knit 1.

Have to get them done and shipped by Tuesday. 2 down, 3 to go..... One of them is just a corker, and I am thinking that this one is going to be

'very interesting'...:think... what they have asked for is very complex, and the yarn company shorted them on the yarn. Triple whammy. Short deadline, short on yarn and challenged by the concept! yoicks........

I hope that the patron saint of yarns and sticks will come to my aid on this one! LOL!

I am loving the 'Gulliver hook'. Made another teddy with it, but am so swamped with deadlines that I don't have time to get to the ideas that I have for it. Did you see the shawl that I made with it? I posted the pic to http://www.hankeringforyarn.com

Fun!

Congrats on finishing your first shawl! I am still working on my daughter's - as well as a fair few other things for the wedding! Tons of spinning, crocheting, weaving, tatting, knitting, sewing........ :D

It's so good to be back! The death of my husband's sister really knocked me for a loop. We're getting ourselves re-oriented. whew......

Anyhow.... a big hug to you, and I hope that 2007 will be full of joy!

:yes:yay:clapNoreen

Well, Noreen, you definitely get the award for busiest designer who is also preparing for not one but two weddings!!! Yikes:eek

I was just looking at your humongo hook with much curiosity as I became the proud owner of a hook with about a one inch diameter:lol ! Our resident hook whittler, Jimbo http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_jimbosfrontporch_archive.html did a "hook whittling tutorial" (don't know if anybody actually was able to MAKE a hook despite his very good instructions) but I did end up with the 'sample' hook which he made in Jumbo size to show the details! I figured I'd hold 12 or so strands of yarn together and make world's warmest (and quickest) afghan:D but haven't attempted yet! You certainly do inspire me, Noreen!

I finished my first butterfly shawl in Cambria, California, and will be working on my second one after the first of the year... and also my daughter's 'bed cover' that she requested...

Well, best to you and yours, hope you have a wonderful holiday and it's great to hear from you again!

Hugs:hug

SPECIAL NOTE TO ANY HOOKERS NEW TO THIS THREAD: If you are joining us (please do) I put a link to a necessary correction for the small butterfly and also a link to obtain the magazine in the very first post in this thread! I did this on December 22, 2006, so hopefully this info will remain good for awhile! Happy Hooking!

Hello and thank you so much, Zuzu!

Mmmmmmmm, your shawl sounds wonderful! I love the multicolor butterflies!

And thank you so much for your very kind words! I really appreciate them!

I also have a passion for the metaphor of the butterfly.... and am pleased that my daughter is theming her wedding around them. I am tatting hundreds of them to stitch to her bustier and train. As well, we are folding guzbillions of origami butterflies. I'll be posting step by steps on how we're folding them. We couldn't find a pattern that worked for us, so I played with the idea until we were happy. That'll be going up on http://www.hankeringforyarn.com But not tonight! LOL!

hugs and blessings

Noreen :manyheart:2spin:2snowman

Thank you' date=' Noreen, for designing such a beautiful shawl! I made the butterflies with 2 strands of a more lavender thread & 2 strands of more violet thread. The mesh is violet. I didn't put fringe, but I put a border all around.

People have admired it, and I say, "I only made it; it was designed by a very clever designer!":nworthy :artist

As I was making it , I kept being amazed by your skill and patience!

I love butterflies, and was looking for just such a shawl, as I haven't been able to face designing one! Now I may try-----you inspired me!

Do you remember the constant reference in 'Jewel in the Crown' of "butterflies caught in a web"? Of course, that can be negative, so I choose not to see it that way! Think about the possible meanings to the constant use of the butterflies in a frame in so many scenes in 'It's a Wonderful Life'........ I have always wanted to talk to Frank Capra about that!

I do hope you will continue to share with us what you are working on, and how you go about it.:manyheart

Thanks again for giving us this design, :dragonfly and good wishes preparing for the weddings! Keep us posted!

Zuzu :cat :ladybug :dog :cat[/quote']

Hello and thank you so much, Zuzu!

Mmmmmmmm, your shawl sounds wonderful! I love the multicolor butterflies!

And thank you so much for your very kind words! I really appreciate them!

I also have a passion for the metaphor of the butterfly.... and am pleased that my daughter is theming her wedding around them. I am tatting hundreds of them to stitch to her bustier and train. As well, we are folding guzbillions of origami butterflies. I'll be posting step by steps on how we're folding them. We couldn't find a pattern that worked for us, so I played with the idea until we were happy.

hugs and blessings

Noreen quote]

Hi Noreen! Thank you for the reply! I'm sorry you are going through grief .......and at the same time having joy. One does not erase the other, but I hope the joy is supreme...:fluffy :tree:mdust:tree

The color differences in my shawl are subtle, because it really is the same 'violet' thread, without a dye lot, but I discovered that some balls were more violet and some were more lavender, so I did use 2 strands of each color for the butterflies, and the violet one for the mesh.

All the work for your daughter's wedding theme sounds wonderful! I do hope you will share photos! The wedding photos of Maria Shriver's show dresses with clovers stitched all over the bodices........very pretty.

I have many butterfly patterns..:dragonfly.......I wish I could send them to you, but they are from books, and or magazines, some dating from way back. There are some without copyright anymore, as they are from about 1900 (and quite complex!) There actually are some on the internet, if you are interested.:artistI am still toying with incorporating some into a shawl with flowers.

(by the way, in addition to the repeated symbolism of butterflies in It's a Wonderful Life, Frank Capra also used flowers)

I stopped at the library to pick up some books that I had ordered from other branches, and to my surprise, one turned out to be yours!!!:2magic (Crocheted Dolls)

I just hadn't noticed your name when I ordered it! So I have again been admiring your creativity as I examine the dolls you designed. Very enjoyable!:manyheart

thanks for sharing the origami butterfly.........I will try it!!!!!!!

hugs to you too!

Zuzu:cat:dog

Hello ZuZu

thanks so much..... 2006 was a rough year for us,with the death of a sister and several friends, and so, we are looking forward to a MUCH better year in 2007! 2 weddings - both our kids - too exciting!

I shipped off a big box of new design projects to New York this morning for the summer issue of Knit.1 - and I am pooped! Very hard work! I am not allowed to say what they are, but I hope that people will like them!

I appreciate your kind offer of butterfly patterns, but I am so fascinated by designing them myself that I don't work from other people's patterns. :manyheart

I am so pleased that you are enjoying my book! :) happy happy!

I need to get back to work here on a loom that I need to ship out tomorrow. (Jim builds them and I draw and burn on them)

so, i had better get back to it!

hugs and blessings

Noreen :hug

Hi Noreen! Thank you for the reply! I'm sorry you are going through grief .......and at the same time having joy. One does not erase the other' date=' but I hope the joy is supreme...

The color differences in my shawl are subtle, because it really is the same 'violet' thread, without a dye lot, but I discovered that some balls were more violet and some were more lavender, so I did use 2 strands of each color for the butterflies, and the violet one for the mesh.

All the work for your daughter's wedding theme sounds wonderful! I do hope you will share photos! The wedding photos of Maria Shriver's show dresses with clovers stitched all over the bodices........very pretty.

I have many butterfly patterns..:dragonfly.......I wish I could send them to you, but they are from books, and or magazines, some dating from way back. There are some without copyright anymore, as they are from about 1900 (and quite complex!) There actually are some on the internet, if you are interested.I am still toying with incorporating some into a shawl with flowers.

(by the way, in addition to the repeated symbolism of butterflies in It's a Wonderful Life, Frank Capra also used flowers)

I stopped at the library to pick up some books that I had ordered from other branches, and to my surprise, one turned out to be yours!!! (Crocheted Dolls)

I just hadn't noticed your name when I ordered it! So I have again been admiring your creativity as I examine the dolls you designed. Very enjoyabl

thanks for sharing the origami butterfly.........I will try it!!!!!!!

hugs to you too!

Zuzu[/quote']

Well. I am interested in this shawl. I think. Only thing is. I could not bring up a link to take me to the shawl. I tried by best to follow your instructions to get there, but, alas. I could not get it done.

Diane in IA

Well. I am interested in this shawl. I think. Only thing is. I could not bring up a link to take me to the shawl. I tried by best to follow your instructions to get there, but, alas. I could not get it done.

Diane in IA

PM'd you with info so you can link to the magazine for the pattern and also the correction!

thank you Paulette. I will search it out.

Glad you found the info you needed!

Anyone else that's looking to join us, I edited Post #1 of this thread with info on obtaining the magazine and the necessary correction! So hook on, little hookers, hook on!

And Noreen, Noreen, Noreen... please link us to whatever it is you're doing whenever it gets published... your patterns are so great and you're so creative! I wouldn't want to miss a thing, so as soon as you can, let us see what you've been up to!!!!!:hug

Archived