Well Traveled Bag Handle Question

I know that this has been discussed a lot, but I didn't see that anyone answered my question yet, so here it is.

I like the look of the I-cord, but I don't knit and don't have a little gadget that makes them; I read somewhere that someone suggested using a yarn cord (also called a monk's cord where you twist the yarn until it is really tight and let it twist up on itself). I would obviously felt this along with the bag.

My question is has anyone ever felted one of these cords? Do they felt okay? And, when it felts, does it get skinnier or thicker? and, how much shorter will it get?

Mainly, I don't know how long and how thick to make it.

Any help?

Thanks,

Nicole

I don't think there is any exact way to know how anything will felt; I just made the same bag and two other ones, the handles I planned for one didn't felt the way I want (they're half flat; half rolled on themselves then felted together) so I'm going to have to use leather for those bags I guess (it was the last of that color yarn, of course!)

I did take long strands of yarn and twist to make a tie for a bag; but I didn't felt that part of it...I'm scared to, honestly. I think maybe I should hand-felt it so I can watch more carefully. Just have to go buy a new toilet plunger for the occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this topic. :) I made an I-cord using black Lamb's Pride yarn. I needed 2 yards for my Well Traveled Bag . It worked out great. I now have to make another one in brown and I hope it will work up well for that also.

Did you try felting your yarn? How did it come out?

I forgot to mention that I felted the cord. :D

If you're doing your felting in the washing machine, I don't think you will have much luck "twisting" the yarn strands together and then trying to felt it into a handle. With all the agitation, I think you will end up with a big knotted mess.

I usually make a round cord handle for my felted bags. For a thick cord, I use an L hook and two strands of yarn. I crochet a chain about 100 to 120 chain stitches long, then I slip stitch back to the beginning. I usually just tie the ends and then felt the cord along with the bag.

If the cord is too long -- just cut it off, then dampen the cut end and rub it against a towel to get a felted finish on the cut end (cut off the tied end and do the same thing).

For a narrower cord, use a single strand of yarn and follow the same instructions. Very easy and sturdy handles.

I made a twisted cord and felted it---it felted just fine and didn't turn into a knot or anything, but I used the colors in the bag, and it ended up looking like yarn puke, colorwise. :(

So, I have made a few mock-ups of 1 ft long ropes and will felt them up to see what works best. I have decided to use just one color to avoid the yarn puke look. :)

The bag itself turned out GREAT---except I may have misunderstood the pattern---I read it to say to work in continuous rounds, which means that there are ridges of color that don't match up at the color changes, but really, it isn't so bad. The next time I will join at the end of each round for sure.

I am going to make my other sister a felted bag soon.

Maybe I'll post pictures later.

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I don't know which pattern you used for your bag, but the Well Traveled Tote also says to work in continuous rounds without joining. With several color changes you can see where the rounds meet once its finished and felted. It seems silly, since a bag with several colors is shown with the pattern, so you know the designer had the same problem but never addressed it.

Debbie

Debbie--That is exactly the pattern I used. It didn't pose a problem until the second color change, and by then, I thought---Ugh--I don't want to frog it. I should have, though. It is less noticeable felted than it was prefelted, but that is a note I made in the margins---definitely don't do continuous rounds next time!!

Still the design is very nice, and the mismatched colors I guess just show that it is my first bag and my first felted project . . . live and learn. I don't think my sister will mind. If so, she can just use it to take to put their stuff in when she and her husband and son go to the park to play (sunscreen, water bottles, bug spray, etc.).

Nicole

Archived