Katrina lapghans

Hi all. I am coordinator of Squares 4 Survivors. We make afghans for survivors of hurricanes Katrina and Rita. You might think, wow that was a long time ago. Well, it was close to 10 months ago, but folks all over the Gulf are still working on getting their lives back together. It's especially at this point, when they've been working so long and still have a long way to go, that they need our encouragement and help. Just a small sign that they're not forgotten.

The reason I'm posting is because I have learned of a nursing home in Alabama which took in Katrina evacuees. 23 of them are still there. We want to send them lapghans. I have someone who can deliver them, so there won't be a lot of postage costs involved. I have already sent 4 so that only leaves 19. *smile*

My assemblers are hard at work on these and other afghan requests, and doing a fantastic job. They are great! I can't compliment them enough. (You can see pictures at our public web site of all they've accomplished.) But they can only work so fast.

I thought some of you might be interested in helping with this particular request since the size is small - about 36" square would be perfect. There are 20 women and 3 men, so mostly feminine colors or a mix.

If you are interested in donating a lapghan please e-mail me at squares4survivors@gmail.com and tell me you saw this at Crochetville. We will, of course, fill the requests regardless. It just may take a bit more time than usual.

Thanks for reading this. I know crocheters who do charity work are pulled in many directions so I appreciate your time.

Sandie Petit

Squares4Survivors

P.S. We follow the "no-knot" rule for ghans. Please do not knot and cut, but rather leave long tails when joining colors, which are then sewn or woven in. Thanks!

I'd like to send a few squares....does it matter what size? What size squares are you collecting...or are you collecting 36" square lapghans? I already have squares made and a ghan about 1/4 done. Let me know. I know how it feels now to help, since so many helped send squares my way. It's a great feeling. God Bless.

Hi! I was asking for 36" ghans in this case. However, we do collect 12" squares in our main group. The group site is

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/squares4survivors/

I'd be happy to have squares, but please read the square requirements before submitting to be sure all squares are used. (no knot rule still applies to lapghans)

I can summarize all the rules into 3 main points.

1) No knots (don't knot and cut, leave long tails and sew them in)

2) Measure vertically and horizontally, not diagonally

3) No fancy borders around squares. Must be flat so it can be joined to others easily.

We'd be happy to have you join us. The main site is announcement only now, so you won't get flooded with messages (except by me lol) and we have a separate chat list for those who like the interaction and social aspect.

We've distributed over 70 afghans and have 27 more requests listed in the database besides the 19 lapghans that are needed. I have 9 assemblers and they are doing a fantastic job as are the members who are submitting squares. One of the best groups I've ever had the privilege of working with.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I was just wondering how you are doing with this project... So, how is it coming along? I saw a thing on, I think 20/20 about the Katrina survivors, and how things are still pretty bad for a lot of them. I'm in Houston, and Houston took in a lot of the evacuees, but I think the powers that be are trying to send them back... It's such a sad situation. Anyway, I will send some squares if you still need them. Thanks!

Victoria

Hi! We are doing just fine. We've distributed 96 afghans and lapghans, and are currently working on 20. All current requests are being filled. If you know of a family who evacuated from Katrina and is in need, even if they are currently living in Houston, we'd be happy to add that request.

I approved your request to join the group. We accept 12" squares in worsted weight acrylic, any colors. Please read the square requirements before sending. They are available in the Files section of the yahoo list and also at the public web site, available to everyone.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/squares4survivors

Thanks for the inquiry.

Hi! I was just wondering how you are doing with this project... So, how is it coming along? I saw a thing on, I think 20/20 about the Katrina survivors, and how things are still pretty bad for a lot of them. I'm in Houston, and Houston took in a lot of the evacuees, but I think the powers that be are trying to send them back... It's such a sad situation. Anyway, I will send some squares if you still need them. Thanks!

Victoria

....I wanna make one but I only make granny squares and your rules are really difficult to follow but I wish you good luck all the way

Hi! Most of our squares are granny squares. In fact, the basic granny square is one of my very favorite squares.

If there is a rule you don't understand, feel free to e-mail me. Basically, it is use single strand, worsted weight yarn, no knots and weave in long tails. I go into detail in the square requirements to answer questions that have been asked on list, but I am always available to clarify if needed. My apologies if it was hard to follow. I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve.

Sandie

no knots and weave in long tails. thats the part I dont get do you just want the squares one colour? or what?

Okay, now I understand. You are confused about the way to join new yarn and take care of your ends (also called tails). Color is not an issue. You can make squares any color.

When you join a new color or a new skein, you don't knot the two strands together. You can tie them temporarily if you are not going to weave them in right away, and then untie them when you're ready to sew them in. Or you can work over them if you prefer (without tying). There are several different ways to do it.

Perhaps pictures would help? I have tutorials at my web site.

Changing colors in a granny

Changing colors other times

Taking care of your ends (tails)

The reason for this suggestion is that after an afghan is washed, often a small bit of tail will poke out. If you have sewn in a sufficient amount (about 4") then it's not a big deal. You can just clip it. If you have knotted and cut at the knot, there is no way to fix this and eventually it will come undone, leaving a hole in the afghan.

If you leave only a short tail, if you cut the portion that pokes out, you will be left with nothing.

If you knot, and the part that pokes out is where there is a knot, there is no way to stick it back in since the two ends are tied together. I recently had this happen. I spent hours untying knots and resewing them.

Does that help?

Sandie

I'm closing this thread at Sandie's request since they have met the goal for the number of lapghans they needed.

Thanks for helping, everyone!!!

Archived