I have a question

I have been asked to teach a crochet class at a local craft shop. Would anyone know how much I should charge per class if people sign up for several classes, say on a Saturday morning. I am thinking maybe 1.5 hours or 2 hours per class. If I do it on a week night, it will be only for an hour. I would be teaching them how to read a pattern as well.

One other thing, I am left handed and that would seem to be a plus. I don't have a problem teaching right handers, I just can't pick up their work.

The craft store will take 10% of class fees. I would welcome any input you all have.

Thanks so much.

Fran

nwbondlady

I took two classes at Michaels when I started crocheting last year and they charge $10 a class (for $2hrs) but supplies were additional (but you could have 10% off whatever supplies you bought that night)...

my teacher was left handed too! :))

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it!

A few ladies at work want me to teach them too. :spina

hi i teach crochet classes at joanns, we charge 40.00 for 2 2hour sections. so is about 10.00 an hour. of which i get 75% of the class revenue. i would think that you should charge alot more than 10.00 especially since you are teaching them pretty much from the beginning. and we sell alot of classes. makes it nice, the people who sign up also have to buy their own supple and then if they sign up on meet the teacher day, they get 20% off their supplys. just my:twocents good luck, its so much fun:sun vicki

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all very much for your input about teaching the crochet classes. I am going to add them all up and check out what is going on a JoAnns before I go back to Michaels.

I am thinking abut doing the squares in the 63 squares book. I have had that book for a long time and taught out of it once, for a bunch of gals at work. It worked pretty well. The squares are large enough to learn a stitch but small enough to not be intimidating and there are lots of patterns easy enough for beginners. What do you think? If I offer it in a series, how many classes should I offer. Because I am self taught, I don't know how many it will take to become proficient (at reading a pattern), for a beginner. My daughter learned really quickly so maybe not all that many. Say, maybe four two hour lessons. I am talking just being able to get through a beginner pattern on thier own when they finish the first four classes. Is that too many or too few?

Fran

nwbondlady.

hi fran, i think most people actually want to learn to make something. with beginners it is a hard thing to choose what, and your idea about the 63 squares would probably work if you were to offer it as say a make a pillow class or something. thats what i am finding. they want a pattern that is already done. good luck. vicki:f-1

Archived