What kind of spindle?

Ladycrochat

I have wanted to learn to spin for a very long time now but I am confused by all the different types of spindles.....does anyone know the differences between them, and which ones are easiest to learn with?

I have wanted to learn to spin for a very long time now but I am confused by all the different types of spindles.....does anyone know the differences between them, and which ones are easiest to learn with?

I'm kind of a newbie to drop spinning. I got a bottom whorl that I like. I think one of the best things to have on a drop spindle for a newbie whether its a top whorl or bottom whorl is some kind of hook for the yarn you are making. (rather than a notch)

If you have the $ to spend I'd get both then give see which one you like best

I'm taking a spinning class next weekend I might have more to share then.

I will be waiting to hear if you have anything further to add....I live in Morocco, and the women here want to teach me with a bottom whirl spindle but it doesn't hve a notch or a hook.....I just can't figure out how they do it like that! That is why I am trying to ask around and see if there are other options open to me!!

Debbie if the women there want to teach you i would suggest you let them show you their spindles and how they work before you embark on buying one. It really doesn't matter if it is a top or bottom whorl the method is the same, its the weight of the whorl that determines the thickness spun. The great thing is you can go anywhere with a spindle and it is a great way of brining women together despite the language barriers. Enjoy the experience.

I'm a fairly new spinner too. I prefer the wheel, but I can use a drop spindle. One recommendation I heard is to get one that isn't too light in weight. A heavier spindle will turn longer. The resulting yarn is a little thicker. I did some angora (heavenly soft!) with my drop spindle.

If you are a beginner you'll find out why it's called a DROP spindle. (Thud). I love the simplicity though. And I love the fact that we can use this modern technology to discuss and ancient craft.

Alice

Debbie,

You can easily make a cd spindle, make one top whorl, one bottom and see which you prefer before you invest in something more expensive, go to Interweave press and get the instructions free.

Deb

Archived