My first baby steps: so far so good!

renegade

I know you all will chuckle, and remember back to the time when you were new with thread, so that's okay by me. :)

Last night I stopped at HL on my way home and bought several balls of DMC Senso Microfiber (size 3, cotton/acrylic mix), and 2 hooks, a size 0 and a size 1. I've been stressed for a few weeks because of an ill kitty (who thankfully is slowly on the mend), and needed a yarn fix. Plus I have 2 friends who recently bought houses, and I'd like to have something I made to give them as housewarming gifts.

After I got home from a LOST watching party, I took out the size 1 hook, and a ball of thread, and started on a doily. I have The Big Book of Crochet, which has several nice and fairly straightforward doily patterns. THe one I'm working on calls for a size 10 thread, so I know this is going to be a lot bigger if I do all the rounds (it's a pretty simple pattern, and looks like I can easily stop the pattern early without it looking bad).

I know, a size 3 thread isn't that much smaller than a fine yarn, but it sure feels smaller! But, I will say, so far, it was easy going. I bought several balls of this thread, so I'm going to play around with it for a while before I head down to a 5 or 10. It's still a bit smaller than I'm used to working with (I tend to use WW for most everything). But I'm not having any problems with the hook or finding the stitch, and my stitches have come out nice and even.

I also like the feel of the cotton: it reminds me of my favorite pillowcases which are cotton, with a crocheted thread border. See, it's giving me the warm fuzzies already! :lol

I started doing thread crochet only last Christmas when I found some snowmen patterns on E-bay. I do love my snowmen. I crocheted around styrofoam balls and used stitches that kept me in stitches..with a size 10 thread but now I love it..still don't do it enough but I hope that you end up finding that the daintiness is addicting too.:c9

Archived