Finished size frustrations

kmadel

Question

Just a few months ago -- withthe whole 'shrug-craze' -- I decided to try my hand at crocheting garment-type things. Up until now all I've done are afghans, shawls, ponchos, etc. Unfortunately, NOTHING I've tried making since, mainly different shrug patterns, has worked out! And, I'm getting REALLY frustrated, but REALLY want to get figure out how to make these patterns work because they look like great things I would love wearing.

The problem is that they all keep coming out so small an 8 year old might fit into them but not me. I use the yarn & hook size called for by the designers, and I know that some of us crochet looser than others which can effect the finished size, but I wouldn't think THAT much. When I've tried making a gauge swatch, it hasn't come out right either, but then I don't know what to do to make it right. AARRGH! :angry Does anyone have any suggestions?

7 answers to this question

You need to keep working with your gauge swatch until it comes out right. If you want to use a particular yarn, keep experimenting with different hooks and tension until you get the swatch to the correct gauge.

Sometimes, I can get stitch gauge (correct # stitches per inch) but not row gague (correct # of rows per inch). Many garment patterns give measurements for the finished pieces. I've found that if I work to stitch gauge and pay close attention to the finished piece measurements, I can just do fewer or more rows as necessary to make the finished piece the right size.

Others may do it differently, so you might get some other suggestions, too.

:cheer Tell us which Shrug pattern you are having the problem with because there may be a simple way to remedy it.

The main thing when making a garment to wear, is that the tension needs to be right for the yarn because if it is too loose, you will find your garment stretching out of shape.

If you like the feel of the tension you are getting with the yarn and hook you are using, then you need to either find another pattern or make this one bigger.

Most Shrugs are a fairly straight piece so it will not usually be too hard to increase the size.

:cheer I bet you are popular with the 8yr olds in your life.

Let us know if you need specific help to enlarge the pattern.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Tell us which Shrug pattern you are having the problem with because there may be a simple way to remedy it.

The shrug is the Diane Langan's 'grey-slouchy shrug'. (I LOVE her designs! Check out her site if you haven't already) The shape of it comes out perfectly for me, but like I said, just way too small.

I'm using the P hook that suggested by the pattern, and my stitches do seem tighter than those in her pictures, but I'm afraid if I make them any looser the shrug will stretch like you all have said. So, I'm thinking I do need to fiddle with the pattern somehow, :think but I've never done anything like that before. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Krista :cat

:cheer I found the link to the picture but of course the pattern was not there so I could not check it out.

Looks like a Boucle yarn which would not be so easy to crochet.

If you can PM me with more details, I will be better able to help make it bigger.

It is easy enough to make wider by doing more rows, if it is made from cuff to cuff.

Maybe you can measure the width you get and add on enough extra Chain to make it wider to hang further down the back.

Then you would have to work out how many stitches for the rib bands.

This is not too hard to do.

One thing I have just thought of.

:think Is it a US pattern or UK?

A DC in a UK pattern is a SC in a US.

A TR in a UK Pattern is a DC in a US.

This could affect the size of the finished garment.

Let me know.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Krista,

Just so you don't feel discouraged, my first shrug that I tried was a pattern by Diane Langan. No matter what I did, I just couldn't get gauge! It was very frustrating and I ended up adding it to the UFO pile. I have since completed the Spider Stitch Shrug (by a different designer) and didn't have any problems with that one.

I am not trying to knock Ms. Langan's patterns in any way, but maybe try a pattern that you like by a different designer? Then when your confidence is built up, go back and try the one you're having problems with. At least... that's my plan!:lol

The shrug is the Diane Langan's 'grey-slouchy shrug'. (I LOVE her designs! Check out her site if you haven't already) The shape of it comes out perfectly for me, but like I said, just way too small.

I'm using the P hook that suggested by the pattern, and my stitches do seem tighter than those in her pictures, but I'm afraid if I make them any looser the shrug will stretch like you all have said. So, I'm thinking I do need to fiddle with the pattern somehow, :think but I've never done anything like that before. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Krista :cat

Thanks for the replies -- you've got me wondering about the stitches possibly being UK versions... :scrachinthe patterns don't say they are, but that would make sense since everythings coming out smaller for me. And, knowing I'm not the only one having these problems does help, too!! I just started a different pattern from another site, so I'll see how that goes.

:hug

Krista

:cat

If you use the pattern directions for the larger sizes maybe it will come out okay. She explained that the smaller size is really small so I don't know why she would include medium and large in the smaller sized pattern. Just an idea.

Darlene

Archived