Site that shows same pattern/different thread sizes?

renegade

I'm curious if there's a site that shows the same pattern worked with different size threads/hooks. I'm tempted to try thread, and I know to start with the larger threads/hooks, but if I see a pattern I like that calls for a size 20 or 30 thread, how could I find out what the approximate size difference would be if worked in a size 5 or 10 thread?

Ultimately, I want to make a set of coasters and placemats for a friend who bought a house. Her birthday is in late July, so I'd have enough time if I started now (considering all the other things I work on, and getting some practice in on thread). I've seen so many fantastic patterns (esp. on this site http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/) that call for smaller threads. Luckily, so many of these are motif patterns, so it's easy to get the right size I'd want. But I may want to venture out to doilies some day, and I imagine there it gets trickier getting them to a good size if I use a different sized thread. I just don't honestly see myself using anything smaller than a size 10 - I'm a little intimidated even by that size!

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Renee,

Check out this free pattern http://www.coatsandclark.com/fun_and_free/crochet_thread/lc1242.htm

I've used it numerous times to teach thread crochet. It's great. It shows the same design done in various size threads and what size hook to use with each. I've had ladies make it using ww, size3 and #10, depending on their comfortability. (is that a word?):D

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Renee...

That pattern on the Coats & Clark site that Susan sent you to is a good one to see the how different size threads make a project bigger or smaller depending on the size used. The chart there is fantastic for giving rule of thumb comparisons.

I would also like to add my two cents and point out that most of the doily patterns on Celt's site also give information for working them in different size threads and tells what the EXPECTED finished size will be. Usually this information is found in the materials list at the beginning of the pattern.

I have found that most projects will be about 1/3 larger in size as you go up in thread size... Size 30 thread is about 1/3 finer than size 20 and size 20 is about 1/3 finer than size 10. So... if you made a motif in size 10 thread and the originally the pattern called for size 30 and if the motif was to measure say 3" in diameter with size 30 it would be about 9" in diameter made with size 10. No longer a little motif, now... it's a small doily! It would measure about 6" in diameter if you made it with size 20, a nice coaster.

Thread size is something to consider when doing any project because of the reasons I just gave. However... most all thread patterns can be worked in any size thread, (or yarn for that matter) you want to make it with. Just keep in mind that if you make a doily pattern with size 100 thread you might be able to use it for a snowflake on your Christmas tree and if you make the same pattern using chunky yarn you can use it for a floor rug! BTW all you yarnies... there are some really pretty porch doilies and scatter rugs made from doily patterns.

Of course you have to consider that this is just a rule of thumb. Not all size 10 threads are exactly the same and not all size 7 hooks are the same, (there is a difference between mfgs. in both, threads and hooks). Compare the millimeter sizes of Boye #7 hook to Susan Bates #7 hook, for example and you will see what I mean. It's the same from one brand of size 10 thread to another.

It will also depend on if you use a size 6, 7 or 8 hook with your size 10 thread. I have even used a size 10 hook with size 10 thread on occasion, depending on what I wanted the finished item to look like. AND... I NEVER use a size 6 with size 10 thread, no matter what the pattern calls for. It just makes too loose of a stitch for me, BUT... that's ME. I personally prefer a size 8 with size 10 thread.

Then if you take into consideration the difference in the tension each person has on the thread, how loose or tight they crochet and how loose or tight the sample maker of the pattern crocheted it there can be a BIG difference in what a finished doily will measure and it doesn't all have to do with thread size.

No one can give you an exact finished measurement for any pattern. That's what GAUGE is all about in patterns. Gauge is not real important with most doily patterns unless you have a NEED for something to be an exact size. It is VERY important if you are making wearables. If finished size matters to you... "TAKE TIME TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE"!

Just some food for thought...

(Been a threadie for 48 years and counting).

Archived