Beginner Crocheter

minnymiss

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to crocheting and really don't have anyone to ask this very basic simple question to...

you know when you start to crochet you have to make a loop on the crochet hook, does this class as one chain? or is it when you begin to do an actual chain stitch that is class the 1st chain stitch?

because i want to do this:

in this book it says to do 1 chain stitch then 5 single crochet then 1 slip stitch. i dont know the correct way to do this, i have tried it, but i want to know the correct way and not just make it up.

thanks for your help.

x

5 answers to this question

I don't count the loop I put on my hook as the first chain. If you look on the internet there are sites that have pictures/videos on how to crochet. You might find those helpful. Best wishes with your crocheting!:hug

I just reread the bottom question in your post. Have you left out any information? Because it doesn't tell you where they want you to do the sc.

i make my loop, and then chain off of that.

maybe you have to do your singles in the chain you just made and then slip stitch to the 1st

you know when you start to crochet you have to make a loop on the crochet hook, does this class as one chain? or is it when you begin to do an actual chain stitch that is class the 1st chain stitch?

The loop doesn't count as a chain. Of course, in knitting, the loop DOES count as your first stitch cast on (:eek) but we won't speak of that. :lol

thanks!

the thing is the book is in japanese.

so i look at the symbols.

it starts off as:

white oval, x, x, x, x, x, black oval.

so it translates as:

chain stitch, single crochet 5 times then slip stitch.

i'm making a amigurumi.

x

The others are right, the loop on the hook does not count as a CH.

There always has to be a loop on the hook or you would not be able to crochet.

The first loop does count after you have done your number of CH, but the one on the hook does not count.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived