need help figuring out pattern

lulubird6

Question

I'm finally making a ripple baby blanket for a friend. A kind soul directed me to a pattern that's just beautiful. I was happily crocheting along until I got to round 5 and now I'm stumped. Can anyone help me? Oh, and does anyone have suggestions for yarn types for baby blankets? I'm not the biggest fan of the way acrylic washes up, but it seems like all the baby yarns are that. maybe it's because I was using cheap stuff before? Now I'm using Bernat baby yarn. Anyway, here's the round 4, then the round 5 info. What happened to my other 12 st/sp's? Pattern is from WoodHill Designs

Round 4: Slip st into v-st space, ch 3, dc in same st, ch 3, *2 dc in next v-st sp, ch 3; rep * around till last sp, 2 dc in last sp, ch 1, dc in top of first ch 3. (24 dc, 24 ch 3 sps). The last setup makes a ch 3 loop for the next round, and the last dc into top is not counted as a dc.

Round 5: Ch 1, sc in space, ch 4, *sc in next ch 3 space, ch 4; rep * around. Slip st in first sc. (12 sc, 12 ch 4 sps).

Thanks for any and all help! This is my first attempt at a baby blanket, also a blanket in the round. Heck, it's my first attempt at a blanket, period!

10 answers to this question

I can't help much with the pattern. I am pretty new at all this to. But I can help a little with the yarn question. I am making a baby blanket for my niece..I am using Bernat's Baby Coordinates. Its 75.2% Acrylic 22.2% acetate 2.6% nylon. It looks nice and feels nice. Here is a pic of what the yarn looks like.

2005_0508blankie0071.jpg

It can be a pain to work with at first but once you get the hang of it it works out.

OK - - It's a bit tough to sit at my office and "virtual crochet" but I'll give it a try. .

Since you are working in only the spaces, on Round 4 the instructions say to work "2dbl int he space, ch 3" around. Depending on how many stiches were on Round 3 the 24 stitich/24 spaces we will assume is right. On Round 5, again only working in the spaces, since you are only instructed to work 1sc, ch 4, when you finish the round you would then have only 12 stitches because you are working ONE sc and not TWO dbl. 1/2 of 24 = 12 BUT since you are working in every space, the number of spaces will not change.

:think

Does that make sense?

Yay! I progressed past thanks to your terrific help, but now I'm stuck again. Going from round 9 to round 10, it just doesn't seem to be working right. Should I join the ripple-along and ask for help there? Will I never be able to finish a project without not understanding the pattern?

Round 9: Slip st into next st, ch 3, dc in next 2 sts, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch sp, *dc in next 3sts, skip next 2 sts, dc in next 3 sts, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch sp; rep * around. Slip st in top of ch 3.

Round 10: Slip st into next st, ch 3, dc in next 3 sts, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch sp, *dc in next 4 sts, skip next 2 sts, dc in next 4 sts, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch sp; rep * around. Slip st in top of ch 3.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Okay, never mind, figured out that one too. Apparently, the problem is ... me! I can't read a pattern worth a darn! But anyway, I shall soldier on. It's starting to look so pretty! For the star part, I held together white baby yarn with baby blue lacinette (sp?), then continued with just the white after the star pattern. I am going to attempt to add back the blue for the popcorns, if I ever get to that part! I'll post a pic when I find my camera!

Thanks to everyone!

Yeah keep going when the going gets crazy walk away, then come back write down the part that is giving you trouble in long hand that always seems to help center me, and get me over the hump sometimes I do it over and over til it becomes clear some patterns my brain just doesn't get round, sometimes a picture helps me that is why I posted you a pic. If you get stuck again holler!!!!! Some of the gals here can explain stuff so much better with words than I can!

Archived