Gearing up for 1st project - Questions!!

dreemrytr

Hi all,

I'm new to fulling/felting and can't wait to begin (I'm ALREADY addicted to crochet, so I'm just adding heat to the fire!). I've purchased several skeins of Patons merino wool, and today have finally decided on a pattern. Yesterday I made a test swatch using a G hook, and it came out so well, you can't see any definition of the stitches. The fabric is very dense and sturdy. I am a little confused, though, as my pattern calls for a K hook, which would seem to make the stitches so much larger and show much more. I've read that the smaller and denser the stitch, the better the results with fulling (which seemed to be the case with my test swatch. But it seems that the comments on this board favor larger stitches for fulling. So what is the best method, using a larger hook or smaller hook for less stitch definition? I don't dare change the pattern. Who knows what the results would be (especially shrinkage) using a smaller hook. Although I really want to use a smaller hook!

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing your comments!

oooh, you're gonna have so much fun!

Myself, I alternate between lager and smaller hooks when fulling (I especially like to use a smaller needle when knitting as the fabric is floppy to begin with).

Personally, I don't see much difference between techniques, the only thing you would want to watch for is that you don't make the stitches too tight.

A large hook is often called for because the fibres need to be able to move to rub against each other to felt.

But if you have results you like with a hook you want to use, I say go for it!

Thanks for the reply. Adjusting the pattern may be the difficulty, but I think I could wing it if I gave it some thought (and practice!).

One other question... has anyone run into problems with stretching where the handles are attached? I've seen one pattern that called for grommets to be pounded in to insert the handles (actually using an i-cord kind of handle), which my guess, would take care of stretching issues. Any thoughts??

I've made a few felted purses, both crocheted and (ahem ;) ) knitted. I liked the results of using the larger hook (K, I believe). If you don't get the results you like, you can run it through the washing machine a second time (NO ONE told me THAT! - so I am telling you - you CAN!!!).

As for handles, I really like the I-Cord - but I have always used a large knitting needle to poke a hole in the felted fabric. I felt the I-Cord and purse at the same time, then put the handle on AFTER.

Link to my Gray Bag:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/definitelydeb/CraftyStuff/felt-graybagFIN2.jpg

Link to my Striped Bag:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/definitelydeb/CraftyStuff/feltStripeAfter1-03-2005.jpg

Both were made using Paton's Merino wool.

Good luck.. and if you have more questions.. ask away!

:hook

Adjusting the pattern may be the difficulty, but I think I could wing it if I gave it some thought (and practice!).

Just a thought, but adjusting the pattern shouldn't be too bad, as long as your post-felting gauge is the same as the pattern. It's the felted size that meatters, not how much you shrink it, so felt some swatches, and see if they come out a similar size to what the pattern specifies.

Nice bags Natalie AND I cords! I don't knit, although my MIL tried to teach me last she was here. I'm an AWFUL knitter, painfully slow and sloppy, but crochet comes to me naturally (maybe because I played around with making a crocheted baby blanket in high school, many... MANY years ago. So I'm trying to figure ideas on i cord options. Sending the wool and farming the work out to my MIL is one idea...LOL! But I think she'd see it as an opportunity to MAKE me learn to knit.. ugggh! Just kidding... I think if I buttered her up she'd happily do it.

Another idea is to get one of those little i cord machines, although I've read some negative reviews... mostly that they don't work with ww yarn. But I'm willing to try it. I could always take it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your input. I'll probably make the holes like you do, since I see that method used a lot in patterns, so it must work well.

Sorry Deb,

I just posted a msg to you using Natalie's name! It's late and I'm in a brain fog, but a did want to reply. My apologies.

NATALIE, disregard my previous msg. to you! I confused you with Deb.

Just wanted to let you know I'm half way finished with my tote. I'm using an H hook and using both sc and hdc. I compensated for the size and it "should" be okay once felted. We'll see. I'll post before and after pics once I finish.

Thanks again for your help!

Can't wait to see it!

And don't worry about mixing me up. But I did get a little confused and wondered which bags I'd posted on my blog, and didn't think I'd put any on... And I haven't! LOL :lol

I haven't made any felted bags for a while - I guess I should do that too. So much yarn, so little time!

I used the hook that they call for on the label of Patons and hdc for my Felted Diaper Bag. The material is SO sturdy and it was nearly impossible to make the holes for the handles.

What pattern are you going to use? If its a wearable, you may want to stick to the instructions, as it may change the size. But if its a bag, that doesn't matter so much.

Queen Mo,

You used a K hook and it was still so dense you could hardly put the handles on?? Wow... I may have to think about inserting the i-cord handles between the stitches BEFORE I felt it (tying a knot in the i cord inside the purse). I've seen it done before. After fulling the handles are FIRMLY attached.

I'm loosely following The Well Traveled Bag pattern http://wildyarn.blogspot.com/2005/10/well-traveled-bag.html

making it not so tall. I'm finding now that I know the basics of how a tote/bag/purse is constructed, it would be easy to design one. Which I'm sure a lot of felters/crocheters do, since there's such a dirth of crochet felted patterns out there.

I'll have to see about learning to KNIT an i cord. Wonder how hard it would be.

Natalie, that's funny! Sorry I confused you! I'm new to this format of bulletin board, and didn't realize I can scroll down while replying to a msg, and see the other msgs. at the same time. I really should READ THE DIRECTIONS on how to post msgs here at Crochetville... I might learn a thing or two!

dreemrytr - If you do learn to knit, make sure you have patience that day! I learned to knit after I'd been crocheting for a while, and I felt that if I had just one more hand, then I'd be able to do it just fine ;)

But if you keep at it, it will get easier - now, I still prefer to crochet, but if I wan to knit something, then I'm happy about that too

But, in the mean time, those wee french knitting spools, that make icord might be easier if you wanted icord quick.

Hi Natalie,

I've found a Wonder Knitter i-cord maker at Joann's that makes 2 sizes of cord. I think I'll give that a try before commiting to the horrendous task of learning KNITTING (just for the sake of i-cords).

Another idea is to get one of those little i cord machines, although I've read some negative reviews... mostly that they don't work with ww yarn. But I'm willing to try it. I could always take it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

I got one of those I-cord making gizmos... the one I have is called Embellish-Knit!. I got it at Joann's with a 40% off coupon. Mine works great, and I have even used it with Worsted Weight yarn. The yarn does have to be smooth though. I tried putting some Noro Kureyon through it and it broke the yarn, because of the thick-thin quality. You have to go really slowly for the first few turns and make sure the yarn is going where it is supposed to. Once you've gotten it going, you can speed up. You hve to keep putting the weight clip up higher as the i-cord gets longer. It sure beats knitting or one of the hand held spool things.

Joan

Hi Joan,

It's good hearing a good review on your Embellish-Knit machine. I bought the Wonder Knitter yesterday. It doesn't have a crank like yours, but does have a rotating top so it makes it somewhat easier. It also comes with two sizes of heads, a 3-prong (0.5"), and a 6 prong (1.0"), and works well with worsted weight yarn. I do have to say though, it was thoroughly frustrating figuring out how to use it with not having used a spool knitter ever before. The instructions were WORTHLESS. So I went on-line and eventually found some clear instructions on spool knitters in general, and got the gizmo to work just fine, 1st time. Oh, and it was only $8.99 full price.

Speaking of price, going to the craft store yesterday was my total undoing. I paid $8.99 for the knitter, and $45 in new yarns to felt/full (Cascade 220 and a novelty yarn to double strand with it). Like I NEED more yarn!! LOL!

Debbie

Archived