Holes

LoveHime

Question

I just started crocheting a few days ago and I'm feeling discouraged... I keep on getting these huge holes in my work. Right now I'm practicing the dc and the holes usually appear where my turning chain is. I have a link to a few photos of some of my practice swatches. Another problem I'm facing with the dc is missing stitches. I start off with 12 and end up with 9... I don't know what I'm doing. :blush

11 answers to this question

The holes are caused when you skip the literal "first" stitch after your turning chain (counting the turning chain as the first stitch); you'll be dc'ing into the top of the turning chain at the end of the row. That's normal. Instead, you can dc into the first stitch after your turning chain and ignore the top of the turning chain at the end of the row, which will eliminate your 'holes', but will create a bit of bump at the beginning of each row, when you look at the whole piece. It's just a matter of preference.

As far as the missing stitches, you just have to really pay attention to your stitches. If you keep skipping that first dc at the beginning of the row, but then don't dc into the top of your turning chain at the end of the row, you'll be losing 1 stitch in every row.

It's really hard to see what's going on in your pics (although I do appreciate you posting them anyway). If you could do a piece in solid colour, especially a light colour, like cream, it'd be easier to see.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Monica

Guest Catlizg

I'm not all THAT experienced a crocheter, but I know how frustrating it is in the beginning and wanted to give you an answer ASAP. It looks to me like you're dropping stitches. If you look on the line to Crochet Pattern Central there are some great pictures of stitches in the turning chain. Why don't you check your work after each row so you don't have to frog so many rows? Also I found it helpful to practice with a smoother yarn in the beginning since it showed my stitches more clearly. Believe me, after crocheting triangles for what seemed like days on end, all of a sudden "click" I was crocheting 15 stitches after 15 stitches repeatedly. I'm sure some of the more experienced pros on here will give you great insight and help. Hang in there. I now wish I had started crocheting years and years ago - it's great, relaxing and far cheaper than therapy.

One trick I've read in a couple of crochet books to help eliminate the holes is, instead of doing 3 chain stitches, turn your work and do a single crochet into that first stitch then do 2 chain stitches. After that, just dc as instructed in your pattern. I've tried this method and it really does work to "fill up" the hole.

:cheer Part of the problem is because on one sample, you have gone between the stitches instead of into the top of the turning CH.

:cheer The best way to eliminate the hole is to just do CH2 before you turn, then make sure you turn your work by turning in a clockwise direction so the front of the CH is facing when you get back to it at the end of the next row. This does not apply to the first row as the CH is always backwards on the start.

:cheer Here is a link to a sample I did for you to look at.

The first 3 rows are done with CH3 and the second 3 are done with CH2.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/CrochetSamples005.jpg

:cheer picture may not be wonderful but hopefully will be clear enough to see what I mean.

:cheer You may find it easier to start with a plain yarn, in a lighter colour as it is much easier to see what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.:hug

PS, When you do the starting CH, you do not get the same number of DCs because you need to skip 3Ch at the beginning of the row. Those 3CH stand as your first DC.

If you are doing SC you skip the first CH and start into the second one.

There are a variety of ways to eliminate the hole at the beginning of a DC row. The simplest way is to chain 2 instead of 3, & do everything else the same. This actually doesn't affect the height of the row at all, but it does take a bit of getting used to if you've learned that you always start DC rows with ch-3. I often have a hard time remembering that this is an option at all.

Another way is to do as Queen_Mo said & ch-2 to get the height and then DC into the first st, but not count the turning chains as sts. This is my preference, but I tend to only do it with things that will be seamed or edged, so the lumps on the end aren't so visible.

You can also make your first two stitches linked double-crochets instead of plain DCs. Unfortunately I don't know how to explain it, but hopefully someone else here can. It's a nice technique, but IMO more work than is truly necessary.

As for the missing stitches...As everyone else said, pay attention, and count count count.

Sorry about the pic size it won't say the size I've specified when I click submit...

:think

By golly I think I've done it....the edges aren't exactly straight but it looks much better.

April9thCrochet003.jpg

How can I get the edges even like my HDC or is the DC supposed to be this way??

April9thCrochet002.jpg

:manyheart Thanks againg for everyone's help I never thought I'd get this far! :manyheart

That's the bumpy edge that comes with dc. But you could try (as others have suggested), instead of chain 3 at beginning of row, sc in first stitch, then ch2, then continue with row making sure to work a dc in top of turning ch at end of row. That might help. But remember that once you've finished your pieces (if its a wearable), you won't see the 'bumps' anyway.

You're doing great!

That's the bumpy edge that comes with dc. But you could try (as others have suggested), instead of chain 3 at beginning of row, sc in first stitch, then ch2, then continue with row making sure to work a dc in top of turning ch at end of row. That might help. But remember that once you've finished your pieces (if its a wearable), you won't see the 'bumps' anyway.

You're doing great!

So using this method will help me to even out my edges? I'm going to try that as soon as I get some more time.

I feel better knowing other people have had that problem too! I finally discovered directions that said it was OK to use 2 chains, and that has been a big improvement. It makes more sense to me anyway - 1 chain for single crochet, 2 chains for double, 3 chains for triple.

:cheer Remember that sometimes Crochet just does these things and it is not WRONG, it is just how crochet is.

:think I always say, "If you want something perfect, get it made in a factory by a Robot."

:cheer Often these little idiosyncracies (Sp) get hidden in a seam or eventually, with use, are not so obvious.

:cheerLearn to be comfortable with the actual mechanics of Crochet before you worry too much about making it perfect.

:cheer Crochet is about fun and enjoyment so "Just Do It"

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS Have a look back at my earlier post. I posted a link to a picture for you.

Archived