Very new at this. Could use help...

sneakybird

Question

Hello, last night in walmart i walked by the yarn section and decided i would like to learn how to crochet a beanie (skull cap). I figured that i could find some tutorials online, but im having a very hard time.

I know how to do a basic chain, but thats about all ive figured out.

I have found some good tutorials for doing a beanie, but the problem is that it uses this confusing lingo and abbreviations. For example it says stuff like

start by chaining 3. the very first loop (by the slip-knot) is where you will put your first round of stitches. the other two loops are the ch-2 at the beginning of the round

Which makes no sense at all to me....

If someone could help me out or at least point me in the right direction, i would really appreciate it.

13 answers to this question

What that 'goobldygook' means, is that when you chain 3, you stick your hook into the very first chain that you made and proceed from there. The 2 skipped chains will probably be counted as a stitch (double crochet) the the row that you do next. Does this help? If not, I'll try to explain it again. I wish I could show you a picture.....that would make it easier.

Daisy.

hmmm... sorry, that is still pretty confusing.... I am really really new at this. I think it was just luck that i was able to figure out how to do the basic chain....

i found this tutorial, and it looks like it might be helpfull. What do you think? I have class now, but im going to try it out when i get back...

Tutorial

:think The first loop that you put onto the hook is not CH 1, so CH3 more, (these will stand as the first DC) then work, possibly a DC into that first loop. I guess you will work several more DCs into that same place, to form a round, flat group of stitches. This is the very top of the beanie.

You will then join with a Slip Stitch into the top of the CH at the beginning of the round, then CH3 to start the next round. Follow the instructions to do the increasing so the top of the beanie gets bigger, then you will work without increasing until it is as long as you need. Make sure you check the stitches in each round, because 1 stitch extra at the beginning can turn into lots more extra stitches by the end of increasing.

Remember, when you are working in rounds, you always have the right side of the stitches facing you, unlike when you are doing rows, when you have the wrong side facing when you turn your work.

Hope this helps.

Let us know.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

hmmm... call me dumb but thats still not making much sense.... what does CH 1 and CH3 and DC mean? Also, i dont really know what a Slip Stitch is....

im sorry, im really new at this.....

Actually i found a friend who knows how to do it so i think she is coming over later today to show me.... If she doesnt help or if i need more info ill post again....

Thanks for all your help!

:cheer

We would never call you dumb, maybe if you had been at it for 10 years with no results, we might start to think that but we would never say it.

Rememeber this song from the Sound of Music.

"Lets start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. When you read you begin with ABC, when you sing you begin with Doh, Ray, me."

Same with crochet, you need to start at the very beginning.

So just make a chain as long as you can until you are comfortable. Un-ravel it and start again to save yarn.

When you have nice, even chains, you can think about making stitches.

Now you can learn what all the different stitches are called such as CH = Chain, SS = Slip stitch, SC = Single Crochet, DC = Double crochet and there are lots more but this will do to start.

Now Google and find a web-site which tells you how to actually do these stitches. There are plenty out there.

Then you can start off making a simple square of each stitch. Keep going on a stitch until you have it looking neat and even. Un-ravel if necessary so you dont waste the yarn.

When you are confident that you know what you are doing, you can get your pattern out again and it will make more sense.

The other expressions that spring to mind are, "Rome was not built in a day." & "Learn to crawl before you try to walk."

We all started off learning and even after 50 squillion years I am still learning.

I do know that eventually, you will be able to look at a piece of crochet and say to yourself, "I know that stitch and how it is done."

"Relax, Relax, Relax, Relax."

If you are relaxed, you should be able to let your piece of crochet go from your left hand without the loop on the hook moving.

Keep your two hands very close together and you will notice that all of your fingers do a job. Try to hold your crochet with your left thumb and index finger and have the yarn over the next two fingers and under the pinkey. Much easier to work this way so it is a good habit to get into.

After a while, you will do it all instinctively.

Have fun.

Awesome! Im stoked how nice and helpfull people are on these forums... im used to gaming forums where people tear you apart if you aska dumb question or something...

So yeah, between my friend's help and your help i have it down! Ive finished one beanie (its fairly sketchy but pretty good for my 1st one i guess)

And now im working on a second one that should be nicer... Here are some pictures. They arent too great though, i took them with my camera phone.

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/i/115474841093_3300_1.jpg?ext=.jpg&border=2,255,255,255,1,0,0,0,0&outquality=90

So heres my first one.....

And here is my second one thats in progress....

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/i/115474896389_3300_1.jpg?ext=.jpg&border=2,255,255,255,1,0,0,0,0&outquality=90

now all i need to learn is how to make nicely rounded earflaps...

But that will be further down the road...

Thanks again for all your help!

You will definately see me around these forums again!

-Chris

Sneaky Bird.

:think Your pictures are not showing so maybe you need to post them on Photobucket first, or maybe it is just my computer.

So glad that you got the hang of making a hat and I wish I could see it.

Have you clicked on it to see if it works for you?

All the best.

Ok, here are the fixed links... I uploaded them to my ftp

2.jpg

1.jpg

By now i have finished that second one and made a 3rd one for my brother.... I bought some more yarn today and i plan on making another one, fixing problems i have had with my previous ones...

Thanks again,

-Chris

Holy sh*t! I am stunned.................. You went from not understanding how to start after the chain...to finishing a bi-coloured beanie in days! You should be so incredibly proud of yourself! Your persistence, your determination, your fortitude and your obvious craftiness combined is astounding! Keep it up and you'll be designing your own patterns in no time!!!!!!!:clap:cheer:yay

:) Im pretty stoked... Once i perfect everything i can sell them along with other stuff my skate company makes!

I only have 2 other questions.......

The way i have been changing colors is just cutting the yarn and tying the new color onto the yarn. Usually you can see little knots from this... Is there a better way?

What im using is regular yarn and i double it up, pulling from the inside of the roll of yarn and pulling from the outside. Im doing a double stitch, and im NOT spiraling it.

I want to take a different color of yarn and kindof stitch in my logo after the beanie is done.. how would be the best way to do this?

Lastly, whats the best way to tie it off at the end?

Thanks for all the help, you guys hare awesome.

Archived