Good size for a nap-ghan?

Hello everyone

I want to make an afghan/blanket for a good friend who's confined to the house. His illness makes him very tired and he dozes on the sofa a lot. I'd like the afghan to be big enough for him to take a nap under it, and cuddle up with it when watching TV. Could anyone please give me an idea of a good size?

I've looked at all the online references I could find, but the size recommended for an "adult" blankie seems to be about 48 x 78. This seems awfully big to me for a sofa blanket. . . any help and advice gratefully received!

--

Nowl

People tend to make them too large to be comfortably handled for older people. I like them to cover me and the width of the chair I'm sitting in. Neck to toes so thats about 3 x 5 ft ( 36 ish by 60). Agree the size often in pattersn is too large. All those requested by someone I know, they've asked them to be smaller. When you drape them on the sofa they look sloopy if they're too large.

I think Gran is right; you may want to ask him. While I know some folks prefer the smaller 'lapghan' size, nobody in my family and none of my friends likes those at all; we all like full-sized 'ghans and throws that we can stretch out under if we lie down on the couch while reading or watching a movie. Even my daughter, who's the shortest person in the family at 5'6", requested that the afghan I made for her family room sofa be at least 6' (72") long, and you don't even WANT to know what size I had to make for my 6'6" son! Why not ask what size your friend prefers, so it can be perfect? If you want it to be a surprise, you could always bring it up casually when you're chatting; just tell him you're making a blanket for a friend and wonder what size he thinks would be good ;)

I have one that someone made for me. I love love the size. It's just perfect for a couch nap. It's not too long or too short. I have no idea where she got the pattern or if she made it up. I just measured it and it's just under 69 inches long and just under 56 inches wide. More than 68 and half by 55 and half. LOL

Both my husband and I are on the short side though but unless your friend is 6 foot or more, I'd say that's the perfect size.

:)

I think Gran is right; you may want to ask him. While I know some folks prefer the smaller 'lapghan' size, nobody in my family and none of my friends likes those at all; we all like full-sized 'ghans and throws that we can stretch out under if we lie down on the couch while reading or watching a movie. Even my daughter, who's the shortest person in the family at 5'6", requested that the afghan I made for her family room sofa be at least 6' (72") long, and you don't even WANT to know what size I had to make for my 6'6" son! Why not ask what size your friend prefers, so it can be perfect? If you want it to be a surprise, you could always bring it up casually when you're chatting; just tell him you're making a blanket for a friend and wonder what size he thinks would be good ;)

WOW 6'6"....that must have taken a ton and half of yarn. :devil Good idea though on asking in a way to keep it surprise....I like your plan

The other reason I think smaller is better is because seniors often trip on things that hang down, getting up forgetting it's there. Head nurse at a nursing facilty told me she always folded things in half when they were big for safety reasons.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and opinions; it's really interesting to see how different people's preferences are.

I didn't really envisage a totally-wrap-round-and-tuck-in blankie like Gran's, and I think MamaHooks' 52-inch ghan would be too short. . . what I had in mind was more something that would cover Gene when he naps on the sofa but not hang down too much over the side. I agree with schcrochet that a big ghan can be awkward to handle or even dangerous if it spills down over the floor. Plus he's quite a small guy, 5ft 9in and very narrowly built.

Empress Busy Bee's blanket is exactly the right length :) (same as his height) and would ensure his toes are covered (he always has cold feet), but I think 56in wide would be way too much. Maybe schcrochet's 36in or MamaHooks' 44in; or even twice the depth of the sofa? Hmm. . . I need to do some measuring and experimenting but I'm really grateful for the ideas. Thank you, everyone.

--

Nowl

Archived