it's getting wider

cdgayer

Question

I've had this trouble for a long time. The foundation row will be exactly the right size, but as I crochet row after row, it gets wider, even though I have the same amount of stitches. Can I do anything to correct this, or is it just something I have to live with? As it is now, I do a lot of pulling and stretching the bottom part to get it to be the same size as the middle and top parts.

Thanks for your help.

6 answers to this question

:think

The others are right, your CH could be tight at the start but also, when you do the first few rows, you are possibly not as relaxed as you are whan you get a bit further on.

As you relax, the tension get less so your crochet gets wider.

Have a good look at the stitches and see if they look the same or are they smaller at the beginning.

You could either start off with a larger hook and change to the correct one, or you can start off with the recommended hook and change to a smaller on, depending on how the crochet feels.

Also work on relaxing the foundation CH or use a larger hook to make the CH.

Good luck.

Colleen:hug

Thank you, thank you!

I crocheted the foundation chain with 1 size larger hook, then switched to the smaller hook, as you all suggested. The result was a beautiful square that looks amazingly square! I've always crocheted very loosely, so I never imagined I could be doing something too tightly. It looks great!

Again, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

I have always had that problem, and no matter how concious I was of doing the chain as loosely as possible, it was always to tight. So I also use a larger hook for the chain, and I haven't had that problem since.

Glad it worked for you too!

Archived