"So Simple.." pls HELP!!!!

Sahmlock

Question

Hi there

Well I was sooo proud of my ebay deal, the "So Simple Crochet" book. I thought since I did the shrugalicious, I could tackle the nice shell edged shrug....well....I can NOT figure the darn pattern out...it is sooo confusing!!! aRGH!!!

anyone do this before?

the WS continue to dec ...for the foll ws rows...all this lingo and to think that I thought I was pretty up to speed in my pattern reading abilities...ew!

did anyone else find this book to be not so simple?

thanks

:think :think :think

***********Ok, I seem to have figured out the original confusion on the sleeve...etc...HOwever...for the back: it is saying Row 1 (rs)....1 sc in 1st dc, 2 ch, 1 dc in each of next 43 tr, turn..............the problem is...the rows before were all DC??????? were did this tr come in?? there was a few tr in the midst of the sleeve...but none after that....ew...it just doesnt even look quite large enough! ew!!!! guess I will have to finish this one...and grab a bigger hook...and modify the next one with the stitches!

###########see additional posts 3 & 7 tooo....thanks!!#################################

7 answers to this question

Hi there

Well I was sooo proud of my ebay deal, the "So Simple Crochet" book. I thought since I did the shrugalicious, I could tackle the nice shell edged shrug....well....I can NOT figure the darn pattern out...it is sooo confusing!!! aRGH!!!

anyone do this before?

the WS continue to dec ...for the foll ws rows...all this lingo and to think that I thought I was pretty up to speed in my pattern reading abilities...ew!

did anyone else find this book to be not so simple?

thanks

:think :think :think

I do not have the book, but I can answer part of your question.

WS- wrong side of the project

RS- right side of the project

My interpretation sounds like this: on the WS (wrong side) continue to dec (decrease) for the foll (following) ws (wrong side) rows.

Decreasing can be very difficult...On CPC, there are tutorial links..maybe it can help. Here's the link.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/tutorials.php

Crochet Abbreviations

alt = alternate

approx = approximately

BP = back post

BLO = back loop only

BPdc = back post double crochet

beg = begin, beginning

CC = contrasting color

ch = chain

cl = cluster

cont = continue

dbl = double

dtr or dbl tr = double triple

dc = double crochet

dec = decrease

dir = directions

dk = dark

dnt = do not turn

ea = each

ex sc = extended single crochet

fig = figure 1 (picture of stitch)

FLO = front loop only

FP = front post

FPdc = front post double crochet

fig = figure 1 (picture of stitch)

fo = finish off

foll = following

gm or gr = grams

gr = group

hdc = half double crochet

hk = hook

htr = half triple crochet

in = inch

inc = increase

incl = including

inst = instructions

lp(s) = loop(s)

lt = light

MC = main color

med = medium

mm = millimeter

no. = number

oz(s) = ounce

pat st = pattern stitch

pc st = popcorn stitch

prev = previous

rem = remaining

rep = repeat

rnd = round

rs = right side

sc = single crochet

sk = skip

sl st = slip stitch

sp = space

st(s) = stitch(es)

tch = turning chain

tog = together

tr = triple (treble)

x times = (such as repeat 5x)

ws = wrong side

yo = yarn over

Ok...it

goes something like this.....row 2: 1 sc in 1st dc, 2 ch, 1 dc in each dc to last st, 1 dc in 3rd ch.

This row forms dc patt

Working in 2nd ch at end of foll rows, cont in dc, 6 more rows......

ok, ,I get that...

then it gets so gosh darn tricky......

next it says:

Dec row: (RS) 1 sc in 1st dc, 2 ch, 2 dctog, 1 dc in each dc to last 3 sts, 2 dctog, 1 dc in 2d ch.

Cont in dc, dec in this way at each end of next 4 RS rows.

Con in tr, work 4 rows.

Inc row (ws): 3 ch, 1 dc in 1st dc, 1 dc in each dc to last st, 2 dc in 2nd ch.

cont in dc, inc in this way at each end of 6 foll WS rows, then at each end of next 3 rows.

then it goes into shape for back and front:

well, I have frogged this durn thing for way toooo many times........I just dont seem to have a good understanding...this is supposed to be a sleeve.

does it make sense to you?

Well I haven't attempted this pattern yet but I recently finished the beautiful scarf in there. I think it's called Lacy Shells Scarf or something like that. Anyway, it was pretty easy. I'll have to remember this thread when I attempt this pattern!

:think I am not sure what part of the shrug you started with but what you need to do is decrease at both ends of every other row which is every row that is right side facing.

Decreasing is done by working all but the last movement of a stitch, over 2 stitches, then working the last loops off together.

Then you do some rows without shaping, then you do some increase rows, on the wrong side facing rows.

Increasing is just working 2 stitches into the same stitch. I see that this is done in your pattern by working 1 stitch into the base of the CH at the beginning of the row and 2 stitches into the top of the Ch from the start of the last row.

Your book should have a list of Abbreviations either with each pattern or at the front of the book.:hook

The list given by Shaelynnsmom is very good so maybe you can print it off or save for future reference.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I am soooooo frustrated.....I did the one side...and now looking at it, I am thinking that there was an error in pattern because it keeps expressing to dc in tr.....and there were no tr's....I am thinking that the seam addition part....with the 8-10 rows..cont in dc...should have read cont in tr...that would be the only thing that would make sense...

this is supposed to be so relaxing....and I am sooooo frustrated now!!!!! Can anyone please help me........i wonder if there was a revision to this pattern? I cant do this!!! argh!!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain:hug I just this morning finished the shaded blanket coat only to find the sleeves are WAY too long I had a really difficult time with the sleeve part of the pattern and now that the whole thing is done I realize I must have messed up...:think I will check out this pattern and see if I can translate it any diffrent, good luck with yours. I am off to find a monkey to wear my sweater:lol :(

Archived