Backpack stretching??

head2toepets2go

Question

I was condsidering making some crocheted backpacks to hold the school supplies and afghans I make for "my orphan kids" but my mother warned me that "no matter what yarn you use it will stretch" (she was VERY ominous about it).

So I was wondering .... is there anything I can actually use that will not stretch? or is the key to line the bacpack? I need them to hold a fair amount of stuff that wil get crammed in - I've even considered adding some power bars to give the kids strength to carry the backpacks, they are very heavy when fully loaded. I also don't sew, so I was thinking I could use a pillow case as the kiner and even poke holes around the opening to start the crochet there and using the Phentex 100% nylon slipper-yarn to make the oustide.

If anyone could shed any light on this topic I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Fran

5 answers to this question

Crocheting with the yarn and crochet thread together will help from them stretching.. I do this with alot of bags that I make..

That is a great tip! Thank you

Tamar

Fabulous!! Great tips everyone. I knew I was holding onto that crochet thread for something! I will to get some made this year & let y'all know how they turn out. My goal this year is to use what I already have, which is great because I found out yesterday that there is a good chance that we are moving this fall/winter, and I have ni idea where we are going or hos much storage room we'll have.

Fran

Archived