shawl to be blocked?

croschet03

Question

I am currently making a shawl that the pattern says to block. What does this mean? I have never done this before. Exactly what does "blocking" do? Please help. I'm wondering if it very necessary.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Blocking helps even things out and brings your pieces to correct measurement.

There are several ways to block and sometimes it depends on what yarn you are using. How I do it: I lay a nice thick towel on my dining room table, spray with water til damp and pin to the measurements in my pattern and let it dry completely. There are other ways too, for instance Paton Brilliant instructs you to lay a damp towel over the piece and let dry. sometimes folks use steam from an iron (don't touch the iron to the piece though!) and let dry.

Blocking really gives a nice finished look to your item.

Do you block larger pieces like afghans? I've never blocked anything bigger than a doily and wouldn't even know how or where to spread out something like an afghan and block it....

Do you block larger pieces like afghans? I've never blocked anything bigger than a doily and wouldn't even know how or where to spread out something like an afghan and block it....

The only things I block are wearables...and dish towels I was giving away as gifts.

I wouldn't block an afghan. And I only block scarves as needed.

I sometimes block my shawls if the edges aren't straight or they curl. I lay it on a spare queen sized bed on top of the comforter. Spray it with lots of cold water and use my hand to even it out. Rarely do I need to pin. let dry over night and it looks great.

Archived