Ponchos out??

Shelleden--SOOO cute!!!!

and I don't think ponchos are out, at least not in the crocheting world. there's patterns for them everywhere!

I agree! And I think there is still room for even more designs. There are just so many possibilities. The baby ponchos are especially nice, cause you can just throw them over the baby & go. You don't have to mess with trying to get little arms into jacket sleeves. Plus they're so gosh darn cute, and simple to make in one day!:hook

Ponchos may not be "out" with the buyers' market, but the publishers are looking at it from a different perspective than we are, that's probably why they told you that. It is their job to create trends (which seem to run in two year cycles) and while everyone is currently hot to buy ponchos and poncho patterns, the publishers are already looking ahead to the next trend they want to concentrate on creating. That's what I see from watching this for a lot of years. So my advice would be to continue making and selling ponchos - there is still plenty of interest there, but start thinking about what the next "big thing" might be - I think cupcake might be onto something with the vests idea, these things come around in cycles on a routine basis and vests have yet to have their turnabout in the cycle. You could also work on creating some new shrug and bolero patterns and probably receive lots of interest from the publishers for those since that trend has only just started to get hot in the publishing world in the last six months or so. I remember last summer we were all whining and hunting fruitlessly for shrug patterns, now we're beginning to see lots of them. Both the knitting and crochet magazines are featuring LOTS of them now, and fewer ponchos than before. They are in transition. By all means, DO submit your patterns to other publications, though, there might be some still looking for them.

I have zero ties to the fashion industry, btw, and like Donnalynn, I have never been one to glue myself to the latest trends as far as my own personal style goes. I'll wear whatever I like, and if it happens to be trendy, well that's just grand, but if not, too bad - I'm wearing it anyway! :devil Knowing me, I'll get hot on ponchos after everybody else packs theirs away! :lol

I have one summer poncho (purchased) and one capelet (that I made). I do have plans to make a couple more ponchos, but I'm not big on the things. They feel a bit too confining to me and like Faith, I tend to feel too clumsy in them. :lol But I do LOVE the shrugs/boleros, and will especially be looking to expand that part of my summer wardrobe so I can wear some of my fancy camis and skinny-strapped tanks without worrying about bra straps showing or getting too cold in air conditioned environments (plus they are good for camouflaging less then perfect upper body features while also providing a modicum of modesty).

I plan to keep an eye on this thread. IF everything goes right, I will be setting up at a few craft sales this Fall. I still have time to decide whether to make ponchos or shawls. My personal preference is for shawls because they can be a classic item. They are also more flattering to more figure types.

One big difference between the more current ponchos and those from the late 70's is length. I made a few from a vintage pattern that did not sell, and I think the length might have been a factor. Maybe I should list it on eBay for a tall, plus size woman. I like to make things for the larger woman because she tends to be forgotten.

I hope you do well at your craft shows, Gardenhumor. I have found that my shawls sell better than the ponchos. My biggest seller is the "Just For Me" shawl. It's the first one in my "Cozy Wraps" leaflet (on the cover). It is so pretty in any Homespun color. Also, it's not so long in the back. I think most people want a medium length. Although, I had one young woman say she likes them to "drag the ground"! The real long ones do look sexy and hip, but I wear shawls for the warmth mostly. I'm way beyond trying to look sexy! :lol

Just wanted to add - I don't mean necessarily classic pretty, that can be funky, unique, etc - it would be fun to have a stole/shawl to wear in lieu of a coat (I hate wearing coats) when we start hitting the cooler days of spring, or in the cooler summer evenings.

I have been thinking about a hooded cape. Maybe in a light-weight yarn. Something colorful, but not red - or else people will call you Little Red Riding Hood! :rofl

I have been thinking about a hooded cape. Maybe in a light-weight yarn. Something colorful, but not red - or else people will call you Little Red Riding Hood! :rofl

If you do that I can't wait to see it!

Archived