steel "I" hook

kayveryn

Actually I have one also. I have never seen another steel lettered hook. Mine is an I also. wonder if they made the other letters. I am sure the hooklady can fill us in on the history of these. I knew the minute I picked it up it wasn't normal even before I read the brand name. Just a wee bit heavier than most......:lol

Kayveryn, does your I hook look like one of these:

BoyeSteel2resize.jpg

Boye made 6" steel hooks in letter sizes G & I only.

The bottom hook where the G or I is alone on the flat was made from 1922 to 1925. The next one going up, the G or I goes the width of the flat was made from 1922 to about 1935. The next 2 have the same markings where the letter is smaller and is positioned between the word steel and the word hook. The black one was made from June until August 1942. The one without the black coating was made from 1935 to June 1942 and after WWII from 1947 until the early 1950's.

Kayveryn and Katchkan, do your hooks have these markings. Let me know.

Hope this helps... enjoy your treasure.:hook

My hook looks like the one on top. I normally don't collect yarn hooks but when I picked this one up to move it out of my way at an antique mall I knew instantly it wasn't the norm. Did a double take and it came home with me. So it was pretty much a fluke that I own it. I only have about a dozen yarn hooks in my collection and that is one of them.

hey, thanks! thats cool! mine is the non black with the I size between steel and hook, with made in usa across the bottom. i'll be taking pics in the next day or so of several things... i'll try to get a pic of my hook too...=]

thanks much!

kayveryn

Kayveryn,

Great pictures :h5 . What kind of camera do you have?

How do you like using your hook?

hi...=]

it's a concord eye-q works pretty good for most stuff, but does terriffic closeups...which is one of the main reasons i got it...=] (i do lots of little stuff)

anyhoo... love my hook! my favorite size, and it's pretty!...=]

kayveryn

Archived