Heavenly Bolero pattern help needed

seagull1993

Question

Okay, I have tackled this same row 3 from all angles I can see -- and I still come up one shell rep short on the count. :eek I rechecked everything on the first 2 rows and they are perfect -- at least I think they are perfect, if I understood that row correctly. On row 2, I ended up with 4 Vs. So, what am I missing on row 3 that leaves me with only 5 shell reps and 2 half-shells, rather than 6 shell reps and 2 half-shells? HELP!! :think

>> Row 1 (RS) (Shell Row): Ch 1, sc in first sc, [ch 1, skip 2 sc, shell in next sc, skip 2 sc, sc in next sc] three times to end – 3 shell reps. Turn.

Set up increase at four corners:

Row 2 (WS) (Arch Row): Ch 4, V-st in first sc,

[(ch 3, skip 2 dc, sc in next ch-space) twice, ch 3, V-st in next sc] three times, placing V-st in last sc. Ch 1, dc in same sc. Turn.

Row 3: Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1) in first

ch-space, [sc in ch-3 arch, ch 1, shell in next ch-3 arch] six times. Sc in next ch-3 arch, (ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in t-ch space, dc in third ch of t-ch – 6 shell reps, half-shells at fronts. Turn. <<

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. :)

10 answers to this question

seagull - I feel your pain. I picked this project up over a month ago and even started a thread asking if there were any problems with the pattern as Lion Brand is infamous for. Most everyone said no and several suggested I check out another thread which was for a completely different Bolero so it didn't help me at all. Come to think of it, I'm thinking I, too, got stuck on round 3. Maybe someone who made it will be able to help!!! I'll be anxious to see the answer!

P.S. I was thinking about trying to e-mail Lion Brand and see if anyone there would be helpful...

Row 3: Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1) in first ch-space, [sc in ch-3 arch, ch 1, shell in next ch-3 arch] six times.

Have you checked the lion brand site for pattern corrections? The pattern has a correction for Row 3:

Row 3 Ch 4, [dc, ch 1] 3 times in first ch-space, [bead, sc in next ch-space, shell in next ch-space] 8 times, bead, sc in next ch-space, ch 1, [dc, ch 1] 3 times in last ch-space, dc in 2nd ch of t-ch. Turn – center back increase done; continue to increase at 4 corners.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cgs-bolero.html

I hope this helps. :hug

Thank you for the feedback, but that correction is for the Romantic Bolero and the design appears to be different from the one I am working on.

I think I will email Lion and see if they have a diagram with specs that they can send me. If anyone else here can help, I welcome the feedback. :-)

Well, I did email LionBrand and this is their response --

>> We're sorry but we don't have any diagrams available.

When you work row 2, you are setting up the increases in the 4 corners (the V-st). You need to continue with the increases as you did in row 2 by working a V-st in the 4 corners. Actually, if you follow the instructions for row 4, those increases in the corner are written in the directions. Work through might make more sense if you just read it as "work V-st"

With Warm Regards,

Customer Support Lion Brand Yarn Company <<

I am still confused and this is not the first bolero or shrug I have done that was made in one-piece construction. I guess my next step is to try to reach Hojo and see if she can walk me through it. Here's hoping. :-)

HoJo was sooo sweet and helpful -- she was able to explain what the missing puzzle piece was --

>> Row 2 (WS) (Arch Row): Ch 4, V-st in first sc,

[(ch 3, skip 2 dc, sc in next ch-space) twice, ch 3, V-st in next sc] three times, placing V-st in last sc. Ch 1, dc in same sc. Turn. <<

You are to repeat the stitches in ( ) 2 x in the SAME ch-space. That makes all the difference and allowed me to end up with the correct amount of shell reps in row 3.

Thanks so much, HoJo. :-)

Archived