Can I do this? (I've got several squares)

MarriedtoaTrucker

Question

8 answers to this question

OH, heavens yes!!! Keep making those squares!!!

Many afghans, ponchos, etc., are formed by creating many squares and then attaching them together... I've done some that way myself both using the 'crochet' method, where you actually allign the two opposing squares and then crochet into one side, then across to the other, back and forth, I've done it where you hold the two together and just go into both sides at the same time with a single crochet (makes kind of a rib along the seam that I didn't care for) and I've done it with the yarn needle method where you sew all the little guys together.

How you hook your squares together will depend on whether you are making granny squares, or some sort of back and forth stitch that ends up as a square.

May I suggest you go to your library or book store and look through some afghan pattern books until you find a pattern that has a lot of squares and look to see how the instructions have it put together!

Happy Hooking

Here's a link to a pic of my poncho

--Donna :~)

My Website My Blog

I copied and pasted the lines above from another thread that had to do with someone making a rude comment to Donna about her crochet poncho... but when she posted the picture you can see how lovely it is... and that it is formed by separate squares... perhaps you could contact her and ask her what method she used to construct it, because as you can see it came out beautifully.

May I suggest you go to your library or book store and look through some afghan pattern books until you find a pattern that has a lot of squares and look to see how the instructions have it put together!

There are hundreds of free patterns 12 inch squares 6 inch squares 7 inch squares 8 inch squares on line as well as sources for putting them together. All kinds of projects to inspire can be found here.:hook

Here's a link to a pic of my poncho

--Donna :~)

My Website My Blog

I copied and pasted the lines above from another thread that had to do with someone making a rude comment to Donna about her crochet poncho... but when she posted the picture you can see how lovely it is... and that it is formed by separate squares... perhaps you could contact her and ask her what method she used to construct it, because as you can see it came out beautifully.

WOW! What a compliment! How sweet of you!!!! I got that pattern from the Simply Creative Crochet that came out in the fall I think. Since there were only 2 designs for the squares it was easy and I really enjoyed it!

Heck, you could take a bunch of different squares and make a mince-meat poncho!!! The only thing I don't like about mine is that I usually use SC to join squares as I hate doing the slip stitch, but you have all these bumps on the wrong side. I think if I ever make another one I'll whipstitch them together!

WOW! What a compliment! How sweet of you!!!! I got that pattern from the Simply Creative Crochet that came out in the fall I think. Since there were only 2 designs for the squares it was easy and I really enjoyed it!

Heck, you could take a bunch of different squares and make a mince-meat poncho!!! The only thing I don't like about mine is that I usually use SC to join squares as I hate doing the slip stitch, but you have all these bumps on the wrong side. I think if I ever make another one I'll whipstitch them together!

Hi, Donna! Your poncho is absolutely gorgeous... :nworthy I'm so glad you saw my post and responded, because after I put it up I was afraid it looked like "here's my poncho" as in MY, Funkyreporter's poncho, so I was hoping that whoever read it would read through and see that I had copied it from your posting and I was merely linking your work. (credit where credit is do, ya know!). I was also concerned I may have broken a rule, as I'm fairly new here...:whew

Anyway, about the single crochet connecting method, I agree that it doesn't always come out favorably - in my experience it tends to leave a little 'ridge' on one side which isn't terribly problematic on a poncho, but on an afghan it sorta makes a 'wrong side' and 'right side' which I always feel afghans should be tossed about freely:jumpyay

That is wonderful that someone posted a site up there for connecting instructions - now you can search from the comfort of your own computer:compute and download when you find what works!

:photo Don't forget to post pictures for us!

Archived