Feeling bad about buying crocheted items

So a few weeks ago, I bought a lovely crocheted skirt at a boutique store in Solvang, CA. It's a pineapple design and has been "dip dyed" so it has a gradation in color from dark brown to tan up the skirt. I believe it was made in India. And at half off ($40), I thought it was a bargain since it would take me forever to make something like that.

Anyway, the first time I wore it, I got a bunch of compliments on it. The ladies at the cafeteria place on campus asked if I'd made it, said, "Oooh, pineapple design!" and all. I had to confess that I didn't, but that I likely could have... And the same conversation happened at the ice cream shop later that evening with the lady saying, "oh, I wish I could be crafty". Since I had to say, "well, I am, I just didn't make this," kind of sheepishly.

Just felt bad about it...

I know how you feel...I just bought a couple of doilies over the weekend (they were so awesome, in a style I'd never seen before from a Turkish lady...) and last fall I bought a couple other doilies from a thrift store...some people have asked if I made them, and I explain that no I didn't...

But I'm used to it...I used to sew stuffed animals and most of my wardrobe at one time was handmade by me...so people know that there's a good possibility that something I'm wearing I made it...or...maybe not...

That shirt sounds beautiful...enjoy it...

I think it's wonderful that we support our fellow crocheters! I have purchased crocheted items, especially from thrift stores or garage sales - I just love having that piece of history and admiring the craftsmanship of 'those who came before us'... and when I remind myself that many of these items were 'of necessity', that there wasn't a local craft store down the street, or a Crochetville for support and comraderie. And if I know that I'd never finish an item and I fall in love with it, I'll buy it. By the way, Solvang is lovely, isn't it? You can shop all day... I bought my wedding dress there and we also took our first anniversary in a lovely cottage... you brought back some lovely memories!

My dad is one of those people who hates to hire repairmen because, "I can fix it myself; why waste money to have someone else do it!" And then he doesn't do it. Used to drive me crazy.

Now I"m the same way. :blush I see something gorgeous in crochet and think, "Well, I can make that!" And then don't. :sigh

I think I owe my dad an apology. :D

By the way, Solvang is lovely, isn't it? You can shop all day... I bought my wedding dress there and we also took our first anniversary in a lovely cottage... you brought back some lovely memories!

Yes, it was lovely! I wish my mom had been there to enjoy it too. My fiance liked it, but oh, she would have loved it more!

There was a lovely cross stitch shop with the most *amazing* work! That was one of our favorite stops. :)

why would you feel bad about buying something that was obviously hand made. i would think the creater who made this lovely garment would be so pleased that someone like her work enough to buy it. when someone buys and wears what i make it brightens my day, makes me feel special and really 80.00 is not that much to spend, so half off that is even better for you so why would it be any differant, to me it would be a honor:devil :devil :devil :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

Archived