dyeing wool question

Chrome Kitty

I've read everything I could find about dyeing wool, but I just want you guys to verify something for me . . . If I use RIT dye which suggests that you mix it with water that is 140 degrees and swish the item around, since I'm using wool that I don't want to felt, as long as I don't do the swishing part, it won't felt in water that hot, correct?

I can't answer this from experience - but I think you'd be okay. As far as I know it takes three things to felt wool - a change in temp, a change in pH, and agitation. I think if you're *gradually* changing the temp and not swishing, you should be good.

But again - not from experience...

I've used both koolaid and liquid food coloring to dye wool. When I wanted a large amount of wool the same color I did it in a big pan on the stove, bringing it to a simmer and stiring GENTLY occasionally. Otherwise, I do a skein or two at a time in the microwave. If you read the posts in here, you will find a wealth of information, and feel free to ask if you have other questions.

rit dye does not give you as vivid results as using an acid type dye on wool

I'm glad you verified this, Elizabeth... I read somewhere that RIT dye is made of several types of dye - a little bit to dye most kinds of fibers - so the colors aren't as *saturated* - and I've always wondered if it was true. Happy you could confirm!

I just bought some Jacquard dye and will be trying it hopefully this week. You add vinegar as the acid. It's a powder dye and supposed to give good saturation. I am excited to try this and will post the results. The cost is almost the same as Kool-Aid.

Archived