I Hate This!!! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!

curibe

Question

Okay, I'm working on this really easy sweater. My stupid edges keep coming out uneven. I'm having trouble knowing where to make the last stitch. This is driving me INSANE to the point that I just want to give up the craft altogether. PLEASE HELP!!! I've looked through all my books and I still can't figure out where to put the !@#$ stitch. I've always had this stupid problem.

Cristy:angry :angry :angry :angry :angry

9 answers to this question

It would help to know what your pattern tells you so we'd have a better idea of how to help you. Using stitch markers to mark your first and last stitches may be something that would help you. If you're working in rows, place a stitch marker in the top of your turning chain, and in the last stitch in the row, that will be where you place the last stitch of your rows unless instructed to do differently. Hope this helps a little.

Very frustrating. When I'm working in single crochet, I'm fine. However, when I start with half double, double, and treble, then everything goes to heck. I HOPE that someone can help us.

Please, don't give up. I'll say a prayer for both of us. :)

Cristy

I have trouble with this too. ok so when you say mark the first stitch, do you mean the turning chain from the last row, or the first actual stitch you crochet in the new row? arrrggghhh....see? I even confuse myself!! :lol

When you make your chain to turn, mark that, then work across your row and mark the last stitch worked, make your chain, and mark that, then work back across and put your last stitch in the first marker. (is that as clear as mud?)

:think Remember that stitches look different when you do rows compared to when you do rounds.

With rows you are looking at the wrong side of the stitch so the top is very slightly to the left of the top of the stitch. (With rounds it is to the right.)

This means that when you start a row with CH3, you need to remember that the CH3 stands as your first DC so you do not work into the base of it but slightly to the left of the next stitch. When you get to the end of the row, you need to do your last stitch into the top of the turning CH.

:hook Of course, there are a million variations, depending on the pattern you are doing but if you can get it right on rows of DCs, everything else is easy.

CH 10, then work a DC into the 3rd CH from the hook and into each CH to the end, CH3, turn. ( Always turn your work in an anti clockwise direction so the front of the CH is facing when you need to work into it at the end of the row.) Count your stitches including the CH you missed at the beginning of the row. You should have 9DCs.

:hook Now work DC into each DC, and into the top of the CH at the end of the row. CH3, turn.

Count as you go or count the stitches at the end of the row.

If you can keep doing this without losing or adding stitches, you are well on your way to getting it right.

:hook Make sure you really look at your stitches so you know where you should be working into and where not.

:cheer Practice, Practice, Practice.

:cheer Relax, Relax, Relax.

:cheer It should always be a pleasure to crochet, never a punishment.

There are some good web-sites around which will give you pictures of the rights and wrongs so that is another possibility for you to look into.

Have fun.

Colleen

I used to have this problem too! In fact, every time I tried to make a practice swatch, I ended up with a pear instead of a square. I have a ton of books, but what finally helped me are the instructions at www.crochet.org. Have you tried those? When you go to the site if you scroll down the page a little there will be a link to "Lean How to Crochet". It has a nice explanation about turning chains but the great thing is that it also has diagrams that show you exacatly where to put your last stitch in the row. There is also a chart that summarizes when you "count" your turning chains and when you don't.

I printed out the pages and since I'm still pretty new at this I still have to look at it when I start a new pattern. It's helped me a lot with getting my rows right, but I still can't figure out rounds! I tried to make a "simple" dishcloth today that starts with a circle, and could never figure out where my beginning stitch was to make my ending slip stitch afer the first round. The instructions also said to "chain one then sc in same stitch" and I can't figure that out either. Does it mean in the chain one I just made? It was really hard to twist my hook around to get into that chain, so I put the sc crochet in the one I made the chain from, but I don't think that was right either. :think I'll stick to my ripple projects for now and maybe figure the circles out some day!

Anyway, I hope this website helps. Good luck! :)

I used to have this problem too! In fact, every time I tried to make a practice swatch, I ended up with a pear instead of a square. I have a ton of books, but what finally helped me are the instructions at www.crochet.org. Have you tried those? When you go to the site if you scroll down the page a little there will be a link to "Lean How to Crochet". It has a nice explanation about turning chains but the great thing is that it also has diagrams that show you exacatly where to put your last stitch in the row. There is also a chart that summarizes when you "count" your turning chains and when you don't.

I printed out the pages and since I'm still pretty new at this I still have to look at it when I start a new pattern. It's helped me a lot with getting my rows right, but I still can't figure out rounds! I tried to make a "simple" dishcloth today that starts with a circle, and could never figure out where my beginning stitch was to make my ending slip stitch afer the first round. The instructions also said to "chain one then sc in same stitch" and I can't figure that out either. Does it mean in the chain one I just made? It was really hard to twist my hook around to get into that chain, so I put the sc crochet in the one I made the chain from, but I don't think that was right either. :think I'll stick to my ripple projects for now and maybe figure the circles out some day!

Anyway, I hope this website helps. Good luck! :)

ch 1 then sc in the same stitch means:

you sc in the stitch that you slip stitched into. So at the end of a round, you'll slip st into the first stitch of that round (helps if you stick a saftey pin in that first st to mark it) then ch 1 and sc right back into that spot. Move your marker up to the sc just made.

Yes, each stitch is different. In the single crochet, your turning chain does not count as a stitch, so you go into that very first stitch.

In the dc, the turning chain does count as a stitch, so you skip the stitch (hole) right under your turning chain, and put your first stitch of the next row in the next stitch to your left.

At the ends of rows, the same applies. Since in dc, the turning chain is considered a stitch, at the end of the row you go into the turning chain.

Since in sc it is NOT a stitch, you don't go into your tch.

Now I do understand that it is sometimes difficult to see those little stitches and realize if it is a turning chain or a regular stitch. What will mostly help here is practice. Make a small swatch where you know how many stitches there are supposed to be on every row. And as you work, pay close attention and count every stitch to make sure you have the correct number.

The photos on my web site for the single crochet and double crochet may help some. Check out this page. Hope it helps someone.

Archived