vest/sweater help

lovelyscrubs

Question

hello everyone,

I have a few questions I am currently trying to make a blazer type top (crochet of course) but I am just making it up as I go . First I madea piece that was as wide as my back and it cam down to the small of my back. Then I crochet a similar front piece but it was much smaller in width. I then sewed that onto the back piece at the shoulder area then I measure around my arms then sewed down the sides I tried that one piece on and it looks good now I have to do the other side but I was wondering how would I make the arms and the collar part right now it kinda look like a vest. also I let enough space in between to maybe crochet on a section for button holes???? can someone please give me some ideas:think :think

5 answers to this question

i know when i made something with buttons i just had to do a chain i think for the button holes not a separate part. you are very brave attempting to do your own one. :hook:cheer collar i have no idea and sleeves i am not sure.

Take a look at Mrs. Who schematics (use search feature) to get an idea of how to create an original garment....You need to get your gauge first and then you can figure out how many stitches you will need to start with....This was very helpful to me in making a vest (still working on it)....There are not any patterns for vests out there that I like and I have lookied at them all.

If you are making a collar, you can simply crochet a rectangle and attach it to the neck edge. If you want a notched collar, you make it a little smaller than your neck edge, about 1' to 1 1/2" from the center front. If you want a straight collar, you can make it wider and have it match with your front edge. Usually one front section is about 1/2 the width of the back section, not including the button and buttonhole bands. They overlap so you only need about an inch or so there. Crochet a couple of rows along the front edge and then mark where you want your buttons. Unless you have very big or small buttons, you can chain 2 and skip two stitches for the buttonholes. Then crochet a few more rows, until your band is the width you desire.

The sleeves are usually crocheted from the wrist upward. It sounds as if your back and front will lap over the shoulder so you will have a dropped sleeve. On me, I measure the length of my arm from the shoulder to the wrist and subtract the 2" that comprises the drop. That will be the length of the sleeve.

You can make a rectangle the width of your armhole opening and end up with a sleeve that is wider at the wrist or you can increase gradually as you approach the shoulder, giving you a more fitted sleeve. Check out Mrs. Who and PM me if you have any other questions. You are doing great so far!:manyheart

for the button holes what I do is I sc along the edge and where I want the button hole to be I chain 2 or 3 or 4 depending on the size of the button you want to use, then on the next row when I get to the chain I just sc in the space the number or chain there is

Lynda:c9

Archived