Using different thread and needle

BarbaraJean

Question

6 answers to this question

I think its a bit hit and miss changing hook and yarn size- it depends on the orginal pattern. I've had success using thiner yarn and a smaller hook in the past- but that was a child's poncho I was making to fit a stuffed toy and you worked the last row until it was the desired size.

if its a fairly quick pattern you could give it a go perhaps altering it as you go along or just frog it and start with another pattern. Have you had a look at the children's patterns available to see if you can find something similar?

I used this pattern for three different ponchos; I made an adult-sized one with the bulky weight that it calls for, a child-sized (about aged 10) with worsted weight and a baby one (3-6months) with baby weight, adjusting the hook sizes as well. They all worked great.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-poncho.html

The best way to be able to know what your finished results will be is to work a guage swatch and compare your measurements (stitch count) to the original patterns'. If the original pattern has 8 dc per 2" and you have 16 dc per 2", then you will know that the finished poncho would be half the size of the original.

:cheer I once had a knitting patern book and the sizes went fron baby right up to large man and the only difference was the size of the yarn and needles. Of course, the measurements were different but the stitch numbers were the same.

:cheer You have nothing to lose by giving it a try, you will know if it is working after a few rows.

:hook Start off with the hook recommended on the yarn label and if it only has knitting needle sizes, use that as your hook size to start with and change if your piece is too tight or too loose.

Go for it.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Thanks everybody for your help.

I used this pattern for three different ponchos; I made an adult-sized one with the bulky weight that it calls for, a child-sized (about aged 10) with worsted weight and a baby one (3-6months) with baby weight, adjusting the hook sizes as well. They all worked great.

That looks very easy! And prettier than the one I found. Can you recommend a needle size to use with baby yarn?

Just wanted to let you know this worked for me. :clap Thanks, queen_mo! I've posted pics in the Baby Show and Tell Forum.

Archived