Another ergonomic handle shape

jimbo

Just finished a metal/wood hook in which the handle has a totally unique shape that kind of came about while whittling and holding and whittling and so on, till i went Hay, this feels good.

Please check it out on my blog and let me know if it seems like a shape that would work for folks with hand issues.

This is an interesting quest, to find a really good feeling grip... I'm hoping this will be a good one to do in a more generic kind of fashion, but i defer to your much more discriminating senses.

Thanks!!

You know Donna, i'm finding something really interesting... and maybe you found out the same thing. Is that that for me, this grip style is easier on the hand because i have so much more grip surface involved between hand and hook, than i do with the pencil style, although this handle works surprizingly well with the pencil grip as well (although i think i'd adjust the position of the hook a bit). Thanks for your input!

You know Donna, i'm finding something really interesting... and maybe you found out the same thing. Is that that for me, this grip style is easier on the hand because i have so much more grip surface involved between hand and hook, than i do with the pencil style, although this handle works surprizingly well with the pencil grip as well (although i think i'd adjust the position of the hook a bit). Thanks for your input!

I agree. The biggest issues I have with the comfort of a hook is the length (I hate hooks that are too short) and how large a grip I have on the hook. I have a feeling that a nice ergo handle on a tiny steel hook makes all the difference in the world. I have loved all the hooks I have seen that you've made, but this one I like the best. (I suffer from arthritis, but only when the weather gets crazy like now) and having a nice grip like this would help quite a lot.

P.S. How are you able to get the grips customized? Just by a pic or some other means?

That's exactly what I was going to say! I suffer from carpul tunnel and worry a lot that my crochet hand will come down with the same thing. I tried one of those store bought ergonomic hooks but it's too short and rubs my palm. The hook isn't at the right angle either...apparently for a pencil grip so it only makes things worse.

Wow! Your grip is almost identical to mine! I love the way it looks Jimbo! Someday I'm gonna have you make me my very own hook... Til then I'll just drool! :D

Well, i look at the grip, if the customer can send me a picture, and shape the hook accordingly. But there's a bit of leway, so i kind of experiment till they feel good to me when i hold the handle in the customer's grip style.

Hope that makes sense.

Archived