Different Sizes, Same Letter?

Hi!

Do different companies use different sizes to make their crochet hooks?

For example, i have one hook that is supposed to be a "G", and it says 4.5 on it, but i have another hook (Boye i think) that says "G 4.25" on it.

Do i just have some messed up hooks, or do different manufacturers make different sizes? I think i also have two "F" hooks that are different "mm" too.

This happens quite a lot. Especially with the larger hooks. I have 2 M's and an N hook but they are all the same size! You're better off using the MM size if you have it than the Letter size...

Cool, thank you.....

Ive noticed the Clover hooks seem to have their own measuring system too....

crochet is worse than shoes....at least with shoes i know i'm an 8 Wide, not a "G" or an "H".

That can be a royal pain in the butt. G hooks also come in 4.00 mm. I have both a 4.00 and a 4.25 G hook, but I just bump it up to an H if the pattern calls for a 4.5.

I have noticed that the sizing isn't the same with Crochet hooks and knitting needles. Each brand is differnt so I go by the mm size always. It just drives me nuts 'cuase my grandma gave me some of her old hooks, and they all don't give you mm at all, just a size.

I have noticed that the sizing isn't the same with Crochet hooks and knitting needles. Each brand is differnt so I go by the mm size always. It just drives me nuts 'cuase my grandma gave me some of her old hooks, and they all don't give you mm at all, just a size.

I love working with older hooks. To solve the measure problem I have experimented with several different gauges to measure the MM size of various hooks. My favorite for measuring hooks is one I got from TOC http://www.turn-of-the-century.com/hooks.htm (you have to scroll down for the gauge). This has become a staple in my crochet bag.

Glad you brought this up because I can just look at them and see the difference from one brand to another a G in one is much bigger or smaller than the other I use plastic hooks but I think steel might be a litlle more uniform because they started it all ? I don't know but seems getting worse because I notice it more often.

I have a hook gague that I use sometimes.... Acutally, I relay on a hook gague and my eye site more than the markings on teh hook. ... I have several steel hooks that are marked very differnt than the size they are....

Part of what cuases the differances is if the company is going off of standard US sizing or off of european sizing and just claiming it's whatever the cloest US size (letter) .... It annoyed me at first. But, then I realized that the differnt hooks sizes can be a help in getting just the right gague I need for a project so can the differnt hook head shaps ..... SO now, I can adjust and fine tune it more than just one standard hook size...

Archived