Bathmat help

donnalynn2

Question

I really need to make a bathmat for the master bathroom. My DH loves to use "dirty" towels as a bathmat for stepping out of the shower, but once a week, when all the dirty towels make it into the laundry room, I realize too late that there isn't a towel to lie on the floor. Since my DH won't let me buy a bathmat for the master bathroom I have decided to make one. If I actually go to all that trouble, I'd like to see him tell me "no!" :devil

So, here's the question. What's the best kind of yarn to use for this sort of thing? Should I just use regular old WW or maybe 4 ply cotton? Any suggestions would be great!

Also, I have only been able to find one pattern for a bathmat and it's the one on CPC. Anyone else know of any other patterns out there? THANKS again! :hook

12 answers to this question

Donna, in my opinion, I think it would be better to use cotton than an acrylic. Acrylic is not going to be very absorbent, which is of course, why you want a bath mat in the first place, right? But even cotton is going to slip and slide around the floor, so make sure you back it with something like those non-skid strips. I really like this pattern: http://www.adultramblings.therapids.net/ripplerug.htm , but any rug pattern you like can be a bath mat, can't it?

I have made two bath mats from yarn (the others were old T-shirts & polar fleece). The cotton one works well, but faded terribly after the first washing, so it's in my bathroom. The other is 3 strands ww acrylic & it's been in my main bath for several years. It still looks good, keep the floor dry, & after several washings, doesn't slip at all.

:)Alosha

I am currently making the following rug in wool (bought some wool yarn on eBay that turned out to be too scratchy for clothing). It's really easy and doubling up the yarn makes it thick. I would go for cotton for the bathroom. Mine is going in the bedroom, so the wool doesn't matter.

http://www.anniesattic.com/stitches/crochet/patterns/pdfs/scrap_yarn_rug.pdf

I am currently making the following rug in wool (bought some wool yarn on eBay that turned out to be too scratchy for clothing). It's really easy and doubling up the yarn makes it thick. I would go for cotton for the bathroom. Mine is going in the bedroom, so the wool doesn't matter.

http://www.anniesattic.com/stitches/crochet/patterns/pdfs/scrap_yarn_rug.pdf

I made this one for my daughter's kitchen in her first apartment. She isn't into crochet anything BUT she loved this rug.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to go "Yarn" shopping tonite! I think I'll use the 4 ply cotton. Maybe Peaches N Cream as I can get a large cone from Wal-Mart for under $6... I'll let you all know how it turns out!

I have been searching for patterns for a bathmat too! I was suprised at how difficult they have been to find.

I think I have decided on doing this Loopy Bathmat. My second choice is this rug from Lily Sugar n' Cream (scroll down to last picture). I found the pattern booklet at Hobby Lobby yesterday for half-price.

Hope this helps!

:turtle Turtleheart :turtle

Archived