Yarn finger?

I just finished a facecloth using some cotton and now I'm working with Caron Cozi, a textured yarn with a thread-like core. I'm starting to wear a raw spot on the index finger of my yarn-holding hand. Has this happenned to anyone else? I just got back into crocheting so do I need to wear a callus there? What to do in the mean time? Band-aid?

TIA,

Debby

Oh yes, I definately get it if I have'nt crocheted anything in a while. I guess you could wear a bandaid on that finger, or something... I don't really know how to stop it myself. I just quit for a bit till it stops hurting and then go back to work.

I can't find it right now, but there was a thread on this exact problem.

If you go to Office Depot or Staples or even I think Walmart, you will find what is commonly know as rubber fingers. They are little rubber tubes that fit over your finger. Here are the web sites to show you what I mean.:hook

Office Depot

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=313619&&An=text

Staples

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesSearch?keyword=rubber+fingers&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&errorUrl=searchnoresults&searchSumUrl=searchresultssummary&searchUnsumUrl=searchresults&fromUrl=home

Instead of a bandaid, which isn't terribly wide, I would get some first aid tape to wrap around, you don't want to chance the edge of the yarn getting adhesive on it. I only have this problem with thread, but looking at my guide finger just now, notice that there is an obvious groove on the finger where the yarn sits. I'm not sure a rubber finger would work, since they are meant to improve grip, I think it might cause too much friction (not let the yarn slide easily),but I haven't tried it either, so it may.

I have seen online at Herrschners?/Joann's? yarn guides, that fit over your finger and has prongs which guide the yarn over your finger. But if it is a temporary problem, I would probably go with the teflon tape or first aid tape.

Great idea Jodi!! And i bet that would work perfectly... but think a second...... handless gloves! you otta do one for each finger and the thumb... just the opposite of fingerless gloves (which i've never really figured out anyways since its my fingers that get cold... not my palms) Start a new craze!!

Archived