so what is fulling and fleting?

sfgwife

I have done crochet for about 15 years and never heard of this before. I like to do thread crochet, blankets, stuff for the house and others but I have never heard of this. Hmmmmmmmm maybe I am really in the dark ages as my kids tell me. LOL. Thanks for the help.

They're the process that's done to 100% wool to make it mat up. Ever shrunk a 100% wool sweater by wahsing it on accident? You fulled it.

Felting is done with raw, unspun fiber - think real felt sheets. You can make bowls, sculptures, and cute animals using different forms of felting.

Fulling is done to processed fiber - wool that has been spun and then crocheted, knit, or woven into a fabric. Fulled purses are super popular right now.

Doing it is simple - all you need is a change in temp and pH, and agitation for your fabric. Basically, you throw your 100%, non-superwash wool item into the washing machine on hot/cold with a little bit of real soap or vinegar, and let it agitate as long as it will. Stop before spin, check the progress, and if you want, throw it in to shrink some more.

I learn something every day at this forum. I thought I was felting, when in reality I was fulling my purse that I am working on. I wanted to know the difference, but I was afraid to ask. :lol

Thanks for the information.

Linda:cheer

I think it is common to use 'felting' for both actions. I say I am felting a purse yet I know I am really planning to 'full a purse'. I don't know why...it just seems easier to say felting. Maybe because 'full' reminds me a a full stomach :lol

I am a newbie at these things but like you, stgwife, I've been crocheting a long time. Basically it is making your stitches join into a solid pc of fuzzy fabric! The additional uses for crochet (or knit) are exciting! And of course hot water causes shrinkage... so you have to create a larger project so that when it shrinks, it is close to the size you actually want it to be.

I think felting and fulling are catching on so much because we crafters are always looking to try something new and once we see it, we have to do it ourselves. I really am amazed at how it shrinks down and becomes so fuzzy. It's just a neat process to witness. I made a hat, and now in the process of crocheting a purse. I can't wait until I felt it, or should I say Full it.

Have fun.

Linda:cheer

Archived