Crochet--en espanol?

After crocheting for a couple of years, my husband finally said to me "You know, I think that's the same thing my mom does." I had no idea my mother-in-law crocheted!

My husband and his family are from Mexico and we will be visiting them there for Xmas. As I am always looking for new ways to connect with my in-laws, I thought it might be good for me to bring a crochet project with me on the trip and to try to talk to my mother-in-law in (my broken!) Spanish about our common craft.

My question is, do any of you know the basic terms for crochet in Spanish? Or could you point me to a website with both English and Spanish terms?

This link was posted a couple of months ago with crochet terms in 6 languages including spanish.

International Crochet Terms

Good luck with communicating with your MIL. A suggestion, maybe you can search the internet and find a pattern in spanish that she could help you translate and work on. Perhaps by teaching you, it would bring the two of you closer.

cool..what part of mexico?? maybe the both of you can learn to read graphs too. those symbols are international! keep in mind too that spanish (as english does in the usa) varies by the region, so some of the terms you learn before you go might not be the ones she uses...but you'll catch on. have a fun trip!

Great idea, Valerie, to take a pattern with me that uses graphs. I am intimidated by doilies (after a few pitiful attempts) and my mother-in-law is apparently very good at them. I'd love to have her help me with the hemp necklace from Interweave Crochet--I think that pattern uses a lot of diagrams/graphs.

My husband & his family are from Mexico City, but we will be joining his parents, brothers, sisters-in-law, and nephews in Manzanillo, in between Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta.

cool..what part of mexico?? maybe the both of you can learn to read graphs too. those symbols are international! keep in mind too that spanish (as english does in the usa) varies by the region, so some of the terms you learn before you go might not be the ones she uses...but you'll catch on. have a fun trip!

Archived