new felter/fuller

crochetdiva

I bought some white buffalo wool the other day ( ok, my mom got it from the thriftstore) and I can finally try and make a tote bag. It is grey, and I would like to dye it and make stripes. What do you suggest I do?

I would try the kool-aid dye.

Wind off a small hank and soak in warm water for 1/2 hour. Mix together three packets of unsweeted Kool-Aid with 1 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Take the wool out of the warm water and squueze out excess. Place the wool on a piece of plastic wrap (make sure it's in something for leaks) and pour the dye over it using the back of a spoon to push the dye into the wool. You can use your hands, but wear gloves cause the kool-aid will stain your hands.Wrap the wool in the plastic wrap and place it in a Pyrex dish. Microwave on high for two minutes and check the wool. If the dye is clear or milky, it is done. If it still has a tinge of color, let it sit for two minutes and microwave for two more minutes. Rinse the wool in warm water (same temp as the water it is in). If the change in temp is too drastic, it will start felting. Be very careful as the wool is very hot and may burn you.

Your house will also stink like wet wool and kool-aid for a while.

Archived