Afgahns for Amigo's

Jimmie Lu

Thanks to some special person who has boosted my enthusiasm. I am asking for help with a project I do ALL ALONE!!! I realize with christmas everyone is busy but this will be ongoing. For 2 years we have been doing mission work in Mexico. We go down with a team of workers and lead the construction of a home near Reynosa Mexico. I take as many afgahns as I can make and fill a suitcase with. I never have enough the women love them. I dont buy fancy special yarn I use left overs from projects and yarn people give to me or yard sale finds. A button is in the making and I am gonna set a blog just for this special project.

Not into scrap gahns I can also always use dish cloths and pot holders. They love hand made items there and we reach alot of unreachable people with my hand made goodies. If you want more info or have some great ideas Please tell me!!!!

And Thanks in advance!!!

YEAH!! I'm very excited! I'm so glad I could be of help:) Let me know if there is anything I can help with! I am pretty good with computers!!!!

I started a shell gahn for this yesterday!! I have a pile of scraps to use so!

I chain 150,then 4dc in the 4th ch, *skip 2ch, sc in next, skip 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch.* from *to* across.

At end I chain 3 turn

work shell in the sc and sc in the center of shell across and ch 3 turn

I work this until I have a gahn the size I want. Usuelly to fit a twin bed or a throw size!!!

Thats one I like that works fast and looks cool with all different colors. I will post at the blog when I have more done to be able to see!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i PMed you, then found the thread. i'm glad you take things like dishcloths and such, since i'm pretty fast with simple things. and i'm into that instant gratification. i'll do what i can.:hook

Great!!! I found a pattern for a pouch today that is good for marbels jacks etc. They work up fast so I am gonna use some of that odd yarn and make some for the children there!! I did finish the big gahn I made for Isabella I have paked it safely away. I have started another scrap gahn.

i finished the lapghan i was working on and 3 dishcloths. still working on the baby blanket. i've also got some stuff left over from a holiday bazaar if you want them. there's a drawstring bag and some body scrubbers that you put a bar of soap in and draw the top shut. i think i'm gonna just hang onto everything and send it all at once. middle of march be okay? i don't want to wait too long.:hook

hi, jimmie lu.

as soon as i get the babyghan finished, i'll be sending you a package. probably next week. i've been trying to get it finished and i just need one more skein of simply soft and i hope to get that today or tomorrow.

dazy:garden

Dazy- Thanks so much we can use all of your items somewhere or other. Some items like a draw string bag are like gold there since most women walk to the store and belive it or not they do not have grocerybags unless you go to a big city or tourist town!! I already have in mind someone to recieve it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmie Lu, are there any colors we should avoid for gifts to Mexico? I know in some countries, the people don't like white. Also, some charities won't take red, white, and blue things because they don't want anything that looks like our flag.

I like your marble pouch pattern. Will try some. Mary

Mary there are no colors I avoid. I try to make them as colorful as I can I do avoid entire blankets in red white and blue but if you are making a scrap gahn those colors always manage in. lol even a red white and blue sq is fine I love making the marble pouches. It is my intent to bring 50 with me in April. and 50 scrunchies(the little girls love them) and CANDY!!! An American with out candy is like a car with not tires. The childeren holler to us "Hey Gringo candy porfavor" But you never ave enough!!

Archived