To capitalize or not to capitalize...

Layisblessed

Question

I want to filet crochet a name graph for my father-in-law. Normally, I capitalize the whole name but his name is DeBeary...do I still capitalize the whole name (DEBEARY) or do I use lowercase for the 1st "e" and capitalize all the other letters (DeBEARY)? Or is it best to graph it as is (DeBeary)?

8 answers to this question

I made a (first name, see below) bookmark for a gift and I used all caps, but made the first letter bigger.  (whoa, sorry that ended up so big).

I think it might depend on the letters used, example your name has 2 small e's, which I sort of think is a letter that might be clearer in Filet if you used caps.

Maybe grab some graph paper and chart it both ways and see which looks better to you?

Lisa Bookmark.JPG

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I made a (first name, see below) bookmark for a gift and I used all caps, but made the first letter bigger.  (whoa, sorry that ended up so big).

I think it might depend on the letters used, example your name has 2 small e's, which I sort of think is a letter that might be clearer in Filet if you used caps.

Maybe grab some graph paper and chart it both ways and see which looks better to you?

Lisa Bookmark.JPG

I didn't even think of that! Thank you!!

Actually, that is a good choice - to have all letters capital-style, but one smaller where necessary for clarity. 

I was going to suggest lower case letters, but they are not as easy to crochet (I don't think) as capitals.  Granny Square is right, as usual.  😉

I think lower case letters have more 'pitfall possibilities'.  If you search for patterns for embroidered or filet alphabet patterns, there aren't many with  short letter heights (meaning, lower number of vertical blocks to fill).  My example only had 5 blocks for the lower letters, but I think I got off easy by the letters in that particular name.  Off the top of my head recalling my search for published charted alphabets, I think 7 blocks in height is about the smallest (like the L in my example).

Also, some lower case letters extend below the line, like g, y, j, and p, which adds to the number of vertical cells you'd need to plot.

edited to add...aw shucks, I'm not always right, I just may have run into a problem or 'design challenge' before some of you, ...and stumbled across a solution that I could live with.  Maybe that just means I'm old.... :lol

Edited by Granny Square