Basket Pattern

milney

Question

I’m considering making a free basket pattern I found on FB. Row 13 states to work the sc around posts from the previous row, inserting hook from back to front. Someone else was confused & this was how she explained it. “insert your hook from back to front on one side of the post and front to back on the other side of the same post and do a sc.” I don’t understand how to do this. Thanks. Janice 

It was in the FB group, “We Love Crochet” by Cindy Marie

Edited by milney
Clarification
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

This is an 'odd' stitch; the description given above is correct, but I can see how it would be confusing.

Usually, you make a stitch either into a chain, or under the top 2 loops of the stitch in the row below.  Here, you are not sticking your hook INTO anything, but around the 'body' of the stitch.

Yarn over, insert your hook alongside the right side of the body of the stitch, across the back, and poke it back to the front on the other side of the stitch, yarn over again to complete the stitch.  Your hook isn't 'into' anything, it's crossing behind the back half of the stitch, and pulling the body of that stitch forward, which forms the raised 'post' stitch.

If this is hard to imagine, I'm sure there are youtubes out there that show this (a picture is worth 1000 words and all that.  In the past, I've described it like a gentleman would put his right arm around a lady's waist  to guide her in a waltz (except his arm doesn't keep going to pop back in front again at the other side!) 

The above is a front post stitch, it brings the post of the stitch your hook went around, to the front of the fabric.   There is also a back post stitch, where you stick the hook from the back of the fabric, across the front of the stitch, and return to the back , which pulls the stich worked around to the back of the fabric and forms a sort of "=" across the front of the fabric.

This stitch pattern is used for a basketweave look because 2 front post stitches look like ||, and 2 back post stitches look like ==, so ends up looking 'woven'.

Thank you. I “think” I understand what you’re saying. I tried it. When I yarn over for the second time on the other side of the SC, I have 3 loops on my hook. She said to do a SC to complete which would be 2 loops on the hook. Am I doing something wrong? Janice 

Sorry!!!! I missed that you said SC in your first post, I've only ever seen an done this in DC (or taller stitches) but the principle would be the same (working around a stitch from front to back).  So forget the initial yarn over but the rest applies  

I said to yarn over first because I was thinking DC, I will edit my post.

Here is a tutorial for SC, a picture is worth 1000 words https://stitchesnscraps.com/tutorial-front-back-post-single-crochet-fpsc-bpsc/