Identifying a stitch

Bugeroo

Question

Hello! A friend of mine was given a bunch of yarn and in the yarn was a little baby dress that is nearly finished. The problem is there is no pattern and the original maker is not accessible. It looks to be all done but the boarder is halfway finished. I'm trying to find out what stitch this could be in order to finish the work. 

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

IMG_20231008_222618.jpg

IMG_20231008_222613.jpg

8 answers to this question

I rotated a bit of the photo so it is right side up.  I think it may be as simple as *SC, chain 3, skip a stitch, repeat.  That is one way to make a simple picot border.  Or possibly the above, but skipping 2 stitches not 1.

Edited to add a third but similar possibility, the same but instead of SC into the top of the stitch, SC between stitches.

Does that seem reasonable to you, since you can poke at it better than we can?

Absolute worst case if I'm guessing wrong,  is that you can rip out just the border and start the border over with something similar to what I described so it is all the same, and hopefully pretty close to the original intent of the appearance.

unknown edging.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

I get what both of you are saying,  I've done a lot of doilies and and legions of picots as well the way in the link shows, I'm seeing a couple of clues to explain why I don't think these are traditional picots: (1) look at the one on the far right, where you can clearly see 'daylight' underneath the arch that the chain makes between 2 stitches (also, that one looks like it may have 1 more chain than the others do).  I'm seeing daylight under the other chain spaces as well, but that one is just the most obvious.  (2) You can see completely unworked stitches between the arches.

Nowadays I make picots the way I described, not starting and ending the picot in the same stitch; they aren't 100% identical as traditional ones using 1 stitch, but give a very similar visual effect, and it's a bit easier on my hands as they get older and creakier--and (to me) it looks identical to the photo above.  

Bugeroo, since you have the item at hand, and 2 possibilities, you can better peer and poke more closely at the item to see which one it appears to be.  

Granny Square I saw the picot you are referring to and that is the one that makes me think it was made like the one in the link I provided because I see a ball there and not the individual chains.  I also saw 2 spaces skipped so it wouldnt make the nice tight rounded picots in the last photo you posted.  I like the picots in the photo you posted.  Bugaroo pull some out and let us know.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Granny Square, I have to agree with Brenda on this one, I also see more of the ball of a traditional picot.  It does almost look like they have skipped a stitch between picots.  Maybe that is the daylight look you are getting.