Which stitch should I slip stitch my double crochet into?

Kiwilicious

Question

5 answers to this question

This explains working an oval.

I also want to point out that this is not worked in a continuous spiral as it says to slip stitch at end of each round ( you would sl st to the first stitch of the round to join.   Problem is  R2 is only round that tells you to ch1 to get started on on the round.  You will need to ch1 to start all rounds of base since all rounds of base use sc.  

By the time you get to the body it just says
R7-17: dc around <92>

For the body you will need to start each round with either a ch 2 or ch3 and you would join with a slip stitch to either the 2nd ch if you used ch2 or 3rd ch if you used a ch3.

Always make sure your stitch count matches what is given before moving on to next round.  Its a good idea to put a stitch marker in your sl st because you do not work into them and they deceptively look like a regular stitch by the time you get back round to them so you tend to want to work a stitch in them which will cause an increase.

Is the pattern on the internet?  If so give us the link so we can see the pattern or else type out out a round or two exactly as written.  Some patterns are well written and very detailed others are sketchy and you are left to make assumptions so it will be helpful to know which type of pattern this is.  

Agree with Bgs, seeing the pattern wording, and the photo of the item, would help decipher this or determine whether the pattern is poorly written (there are a lot of awful patterns offered on the internet).

"It spiraled" is not clear, do you mean you ended up working in a spiral, as in the round but not joining the rounds? (hats and toys often start this way)  If working from the center out, and the item wasn't a toy but rather a round thing that was supposed to lie flat (like a potholder for example), did the edge curl up like a cup, or have excess fabric at the edge that ruffled?

Also your guess / assumption that it should have said 'Stitch 2 start from 4th chain of the hook' makes no sense.  You could chain 4, and make a stitch in the second chain from the hook for example, but if the pattern starts with chain 2, and tells you to put a stitch in the 4th chain from the hook, that is impossible as you only have 2 chains.  

It sounded a bit like I was chewing you out above, which was not my intent (honest!)  One thing about patterns is that their language needs to be very precise to be understood, and so do questions in the help section so we can get to the bottom of the pattern to help you. 

On 8/16/2023 at 8:36 AM, Granny Square said:

Agree with Bgs, seeing the pattern wording, and the photo of the item, would help decipher this or determine whether the pattern is poorly written (there are a lot of awful patterns offered on the internet).

"It spiraled" is not clear, do you mean you ended up working in a spiral, as in the round but not joining the rounds? (hats and toys often start this way)  If working from the center out, and the item wasn't a toy but rather a round thing that was supposed to lie flat (like a potholder for example), did the edge curl up like a cup, or have excess fabric at the edge that ruffled?

Also your guess / assumption that it should have said 'Stitch 2 start from 4th chain of the hook' makes no sense.  You could chain 4, and make a stitch in the second chain from the hook for example, but if the pattern starts with chain 2, and tells you to put a stitch in the 4th chain from the hook, that is impossible as you only have 2 chains.  

It sounded a bit like I was chewing you out above, which was not my intent (honest!)  One thing about patterns is that their language needs to be very precise to be understood, and so do questions in the help section so we can get to the bottom of the pattern to help you. 

Hi! Thanks for answering, this is the pattern i'm following. It spiraled as in each round wasn't the same hight, and would end higher that it started, rather than being the same height and meeting together. 

goose bag.pdf

R1: ch29, second chain from hook, (3sc) in one st, 26sc, (4sc) in one st, 27sc, slst

R2: ch1, inc x3, 26sc, inc x4, 26sc, inc, slst

This type of construction comes up a lot in the help section (because it is kinda weird the first time you encounter it); you are working AROUND the chain, in an oval, by making the first pass into 1 loop if the chain in 1 direction to the far end of the chain, and the second pass into the other 2 loops of the chain (that you didn't use before),working back to where you started.  There are increases at each end of the chain to help turn the corner.  You see by round 6 you have 92 stitches.

This skinny oval will enlarge in future rounds to become the bottom of the bag, eventually you will stop increasing when you transition from the bottom to the sides (rounds 7-17 in your pattern)

This is one of many videos of the general concept.