Looking for help with crocheting a Unicorn

Good evening,

I am crocheting a Unicorn. I am working on the head.

I am stuck on the first row which reads:

Chain 5 start: ch5, inc in 2nd ch from hook, sc 2, 5 sc in the last ch. (this part I was able to complete). Continue on the other side of the chain base, sc 2, 3sc in the last chain. It's this last part that I can't figure out. When it says continue on the other side do I just turn the work around?

I appreicate any help.

Here is the pattern.

https://jesshuff.com/jazzy-unicorn-free-amigurumi-pattern/

Thank you all.

Nicole

I'm back and I'm struggling again with the second row.

Row 2: inc, sc 4, *inc* 3 times, sc 4, *inc* 2 times (20)

why is the *inc*  written like this, what does it mean?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Nicole

Row 2: inc, sc 4, *inc* 3 times, sc 4, *inc* 2 times (20)

pattern is not written in conventionally accepted format

inc means make 2 stitches into one stitch and assuming you make sc

*inc* 3 times is telling you to work whats between the *  * 3 times

Row 2 written out longhand:

make 2 sc into first stitch of previous row 

make 1 sc into each of next 4 stitches of previous row

make 2 sc in next stitch of previous row

make 1 sc into each of next 4 stitches of previous row

Adding up stitches made I get 20 stitches made which matches the stitch count (20) given for this row.

We worked into 14 stitches so stitch count for row 1 should be 14.  And to double check a total of 6 increases were made in row 2 so the 6 more stitches added to 14 equals 20.

• 1 month later...

Hello ladies,

I am working on a new project called lucky puppy.

I am at the end of the ears and I am doing the second to last line where I have to sc in the next 2 st, dec.......

How do I decrease when the two layers of my project are together and I have to crochet through both layers.

I don't understand how to do this.

Thank you.

Nicole

image.thumb.png.567b040b3192660a8a244d3141f19698.png

Do exactly what it says working thru both layers but thinking of it  as one layer.  This is going to pull that end in so you get shaping or cupping of the ear so its not just  flat.

I checked here and if you scroll down someone asked the same question and the response back was flatten it together and do it like you would normally do it.  You might be using thicker yarn than the pattern suggests which would cause more bulkiness but it should still work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again Ladies,

I am on to yet another project and I am stuck. Its a soccer ball plushie.

Here are the iinstructions:

Assembling Plushie
Take one black motif and sew a white motif to each side. Sew the white motifs together where their sides meet. Then sew a black motif where each white motif meets the other white motif. Sew white motifs in between the black. Continue in this pattern, referring to the picture if necessary. It will come together if you follow the pattern. When you come to the last motif flip ball right side out and stuff most of the way. Sew on last motif almost completely. Finish stuffing plushie as full as you can and then sew up.

Here is the link: https://www.crochetspot.com/free-crochet-pattern-soccer-ball-plushie/comment-page-1/?unapproved=4765077&moderation-hash=f65f2826c9f311d7159c96b1b6cd8260#comment-4765077

My peice is flat. I have seven black pieces sewn to the white pieces so far

I have 5 black pieces left and 5 white pieces.

I woudl really appreaciate someones help.

Thank you in advance.

Nicole

In reading the directions (and never having paid much attention to what a soccer ball looked like), I was surprised that the motifs were a combination of hexagons and pentagons.  

Is it possible you overlooked that part, and made all hexagons?  I can think of 2 possibilities (1) a round shape might not work with all hexagons, in fact I've seen lots of hexagons used to make (flat) tablecloths and afghans....  (2) you made the proper shapes, but sometimes a pattern will seem impossibly wrong until you are nearly done, then :2magic it all comes together at the end.

There are 32 motifs, and you have 10 left, so have only assembled two-thirds of them; perhaps my #2 scenario above is in play.  Also,  did you read the discussion below the pattern, where the designer said it is important that the shapes be assembled a certain way?

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you for your response.

I made 12 black pentagons and 20 hexagons as was called for.

I actually have 6 hexagons left not 5.

Still not sure how to make this work.

Thanks.

Nicole

Probably best thing you could do at this point is post some photos so we can see what is going on.

What do you mean by your piece is flat?  Is it laying out flat as like an afghan or is flat like a deflated ball (because there is no stuffing in it)? The only time this would lay "flat" (single layer)is in the beginning when you sew 5 white pieces to the black piece.  It would immediately start cupping in the next step when you sew the edges of these white pieces together.  Eventually as you build the sphere it would lay flat doubled back on itself because there is no stuffing in it at this time.

OK, I have not looked at the pattern again but I'm not the one that needs to assemble it, so what I am about to say is making up stuff and probably wrong in detail but similar-ish in concept to what the pattern wants you to do.  I'm trying to prod you to read the pattern again, all the way thru the assembly instructions, and the comments afterward.  (not trying to be mean or lazy, just trying to guide you hopefully to an AHA! moment on your own to understand what needs to happen).  

Look at the white hexagon in the lower right corner, closest to the 'thinkpad' logo.  It has black hexagons on either side of it, sort of like the white hexagon is a face and the black ones are ears.  What would happen if you were to fold the piece so the sides of the ears that are at the edge closest to the face, are folded and sewn so they are attached to the 'cheeks' of the white piece?  The edge would cease to be flat, right?  This is the 'next step' that Bgs was describing above when she said "it would immediately start to cup when you sewed the (correct, whatever they are) edges together" after this point.

Edited by Granny Square

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fellow crafters,

I am wondering if anyone might have a crochet pattern for Sonic The Hedgehog?

I'm crocheting 9 characters for my grandnieces and grandnephews that I am going to visit in Australia next week, and Sonic the Hedgehog is the last one that I have to do.

Thnaks.

Nicole