UK terminology

DebbieGiddens

Question

I uploaded a pattern and have no idea what the designer is referring to.  In her second round the pattern reads, double the 1st 2 tr, 23 tr, double 5 tr, 23 tr,double 3 tr, close round with 1 slst 1 ch (66).  Can you help? I can't get her to respond to me.

Thank you 

2 answers to this question

I think " double" means increase.  Make 2 stitches into each of 2st 2 tr.  Make 1 tr into each of next 23 stitched.  Make 2 tr into each of the next 5 stitches.  Make 1tr into each of next 23 stitches.  Make 2 tr into each of next 3 stitches.  I think that adds up to 66 stitches made.

I concur with Bgs's interpretation.  I have followed UK patterns, and while they use 'their' stitch names instead of the US stitch names, and use a few terms that are a little different but not incomprehensible (miss the next stitch instead of skip the next stitch for example) those that I've run into used the words increase and decrease and were NOT confusing like this in the use of the word 'double'--that is just sloppy pattern writing.  I wonder if the designer would have reconsidered her word choice if the stitches were UK DC.

Edited by Granny Square